She teetered indecisively on the threshold.

Fenrir leaned back against the counter. He bit into his toast and watched her in what she thought was wry amusement. Her stomach grumbled. He reached up in a slow gesture, opening the press behind him. Temperance’s eyes dropped as his jumper slid up to show his stomach and a pink, newly healed scar. She was unable to look away. She blushed seeing him smirk at her.

“You didn’t get enough of a view the last time?” he questioned

around his toast.

Temperance knew her face was getting redder. The werewolf tugged out a full loaf of bread from the cupboard and tossed it onto the table between them.

“Have a few slices, it sounds like you’re hungry. Your mother fed me enough over the years. I’d like to return the favour.”

“My mother?” Temperance croaked.

“Thought I was a stray dog,” Fenrir nodded. “I knew I recognised you. You’re the girl who lives in the converted church on the west side of the forest. You’re keeping bad company these days.”

He jerked his head, indicating he knew the wizard was with her. She licked her lips, wanting to dash back to their room and warn him. But then, Fenrir knew he was there already and hadn’t done anything.

She took a deep breath and stepped into the kitchen. She dragged out a chair and sat on the edge of it. Fenrir grunted in satisfaction. He grabbed the butter and knife, and slid them halfway across the table. Temperance’s hands shook as she pulled out a slice of bread. She fought to keep them steady as she buttered it.

Fenrir studied her. He frowned as if there was something amiss.

“You let the wizard put a spell on you?” He glanced away, running his tongue over his teeth. Temperance stared up at him. “I can see you’re afraid, but I can’t smell it.”

“He didn’t do anything.”

She frowned and Konrad’s smile flashed across her eyes. Did it have something to do with the faey experiment? Her palms were sweaty; she wished she could talk to her brother and ask him the truth.

Fenrir studied her with renewed interest. She put down the knife.

“He didn’t kill that female werewolf, you know.”

“So he tells you,” the Alpha sneered. “That man has killed more of my kind than most of the best hunters combined. Forgive me if I don’t take your word for it.”

He stalked over to the door, ending their strange, tense conversation. He stopped when he was parallel to her. He inhaled. She saw his head turn.

“You do smell faintly of werewolf though.” His teeth flashed at her as he spoke. His canines were pointed. She swallowed over the lump in her throat, imagining them in a wolf’s mouth, snapping into her.

He grasped the back of her chair and ducked close to her ear. He took a long deep breath that had her heart racing. “It’s familiar but I don’t recognise it. Tell me, did the wizard capture one of us?”

“No,” Temperance choked. She felt lightheaded, her hands tingled and she struggled to relax. He couldn’t smell her; she could get through this. Even if he knew Halvard was with them, it didn’t matter.

“No,” she repeated in a more confident tone.

She leaned away from him. Her fingers inched towards the knife but before she could reach it, he slammed his palm down in front of hers. She stared at his strong hand. He could crush her if he wanted to. They were strong even without changing.