Chapter 20

The room was quiet, too quiet and the shocked silence drew your attention, Stark's as well. Your tortured mind automatically jumped to the conclusion that you were being attacked, that there was some danger. You let go of Tony and stood, turning to face the room as you rubbed your arm across your face, drying your tears roughly, drawing a thin blade from the sheath hidden at the small of your back in one quick movement, standing in front of Tony to defend him, even as he stood too, placing his sarcastic mask back in place, pretending nothing had happened.

You looked around the room for the attack, the danger, but everyone was just staring at your group, even as they came over to you, as if the danger were in your little group. Tony was safe behind you, so you looked to Loki who seemed sad that your instinct had changed after what you'd been through with Hydra. You'd never been a fighter by inclination or training, until Hydra had fucked up your brain and tortured you into doing their will.

Your mouth fell open and your blade clanged to the floor when you saw Mjolnir in Loki's hand. "What is it, sweetheart?" he asked, raising his hands to hug you, or somehow reassure you over whatever you were staring at. It was then that he finally saw the hammer in his hand and realized what he had done. He let out a yelp of surprise as he dropped the hammer to the floor as if it had burned him. "What in Valhalla?" he demanded, shocked and confused.

The room erupted into shocked "He's worthy?" They had all made it over to you and saw up close that Loki had in fact been holding Mjolnir.

Thor clapped Loki on the shoulder. "I knew you were worthy, Brother!" he boomed, overjoyed and proud. Loki just looked at him confused. He was over a thousand years old and had never once been worthy of holding Mjolnir.

Loki flushed nearly purple under the praise. "It was a fluke," he protested as the situation finally got through your brain. You grinned at him and wrapped you arms around his neck. His arm went automatically around your waist, holding you close to him.

"I knew it too, Lokes," you praised warmly. You knew how much it would mean to Loki to actually be worthy, once he got over his shock. Poor baby was shocked so much twice in one morning. Plus you'd nearly died. It was a rough morning all around.

"I knew the hammer thing was a trick. Only the worthy? Pfft, it's only the Asgardians," Stark grumped. He was always pissy about not being able to lift Mjolnir. He had definitely put back on his sarcasm and jokes to pretend nothing happened and no one had seen him cry. It was definitely typical behavior for him.

"What's the big deal? It's just a hammer," Buck demanded and bent to pick up the hammer, while keeping himself a safe distance away from Stark, figuring correctly that Stark wasn't going to like him quickly after today's revelation. He tried to lift the hammer anyway, except Mjolnir stayed firmly on the ground.

"Only those who are 'worthy'," you made air quotes since no one really knew exactly what it was that made someone worthy or not "are able to lift the hammer," you explained to the confused Bucky. You kissed the confused shocked Loki and let him go, standing on your own two feet again.

Thor picked up the hammer and turned it so the inscription shone where Bucky could read the 'Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor' inscription.

"More magic," Bucky growled, exasperated with his life becoming filled with so much magic.

"It was just a fluke to save my lady," Loki said softly, too shocked for anything else. He pulled you to his side as if for comfort. Poor baby was so shocked, he'd never once been worthy. Thor silently turned the hammer and handed it to Loki handle first. Loki took it without thinking and seemed surprised when the hammer didn't immediately fall to the ground. He just stared at it.