t w e n t y-n i n e - i can make it happen

Start from the beginning

"Well, take a seat!" Mrs. Hunt offered happily, clapping her hands together. I looked at Josh for an answer and he pulled out a chair for me, so I took that seat. He put himself next to me, while Jaclyn sat on my other side and the parents sat across from us.

Mrs. Hunt shot one of the servers a quick look, and he hurriedly ran out of the room, only to return with a sparkling bottle of champagne. He started carefully pouring it into everyone's glasses, rounding the table and pausing once he got to me.

"Would you like some champagne, Victoria?" Mrs. Hunt asked me.

"Uh, sure," I nodded with a nervous laugh. She smiled back, taking a gentle sip from her glass.

God, this woman is so intimidating. I have to think about everything before I speak. And I don't know if I like that feeling.

Within a few minutes and a single glance from Mrs. Hunt, the staff started cutting up the meat, slicing the bread and serving us. I had a plate full of food that I knew I wouldn't be able to finish, but everything smelled and looked so good that I'll have to push myself to fit it all in my stomach.

We kept the conversation light during dinner, following the basic outline of the meeting-the-family-for-the-first-time criteria. I had two glasses of champagne and I knew if I drank anymore, I'd start saying things that I'd regret tomorrow. I'm not the most appropriate person when I get hammered.

So far, I'd say it's going pretty well. His parents seem to like me and even though Mrs. Hunt is kind of threatening, she means well. She just wants the best for her kids and has high expectations for them.

From what I know, the twins are exceptionally smart. And with Josh being one of the top wrestlers in the state and Jaclyn dominating the Principle's List, it seems that they've got it made when it comes to school.

At home, it's not quite what it seems.

Once we all finished our dinners and the staff took the dishes away, we continued sitting at the table with our drinks, waiting for the dessert to be prepared. I'm pretty sure I heard something about homemade cannoli's and tiramisu. Either way, I'm happy with both.

"So, Victoria. Do you work?" Mr. Hunt asked me, the words easily coming out. I can see where Josh gets his suave attitude from.

"Yes, actually I babysit my mom's best friend's daughter," I nodded, and he raised his eyebrows as a response. "I've been watching her for a few years now, it's just sort of a way for me to make some extra money."

"I've met her before," Josh spoke up, and I smiled at him gratefully for helping me out with this question. "She's adorable. Her name is Gracie." His hand came over and wrapped around mine under the table, giving me a reassuring squeeze.

"That's nice," Mr. Hunt smiled. He's much easier to talk to than his wife.

Mrs. Hunt cleared her throat and leaned forward a little, looking directly at me.

"What are your plans for college?"

Fuck.

My throat tightened up on command. I felt myself squeezing Josh's hand a little tighter, as if begging him to get me out of this.

The one question I've been dreading all night. The one question that makes me seem like an idiot. At least, to this family it might.

It was my turn to clear my throat as I smiled uneasily at her. She just kept the inquisitive look on her face.

"Um, I'm not entirely sure yet," I spoke slowly, choosing my words carefully.

Mrs. Hunt's face tensed in the slightest, but I still noticed it. Josh rubbed his thumb over mine soothingly, getting my heart rate back to normal. "I don't have my mind set on anything. There are things that I'm interested in, I'm just not sure what I want a degree in," I explained, my eyes dropping to my empty champagne glass in front of me. I couldn't bear to look at her anymore.

The Safety Pin AffairOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara