t w e n t y - i'm such an idiot around you

i've been thinking baby,
been mostly about y o u . . .

▪️▫️▪️

On Friday, the snow had stopped and for once it seemed like we were going to actually see sunshine for a little while. Of course, there's still 2 feet or so of the white fluff covering everything outside. It's been so bad that no one can take down their Christmas decorations and it feels like we'll be stuck like this forever.

Our little town of Ridgeway – permanently a literal winter wonderland.

School starts up again on Monday, so you can guess that I've been trying my best to ignore that and enjoy my last winter break as a high school senior. It went by too fast, but the next thing to look forward to is spring break. And that'll be here soon enough.

Now tonight is not just any old Friday night. Tonight is the night designated as my first real date with Josh. The one he asked me to go on with him last week when we traded Christmas presents? Yeah, that date.

As usual, I have no idea where we're going. Just like I have no idea what to wear. But I guess that's what Blair is for.

I kept bothering Josh all day to see if I could get him to crack, but he didn't give away a single hint. With it nearing 6 o'clock and having only nearly two hours to get ready, I started to panic.

And as I asked one more time about a dress code and got back a vague answer with a winky face, I groaned.

"Why does he have to be so secretive?" I complained out loud.

"He's still not telling you anything?" Blair questioned from my closet.

"Nope," I mumbled.

She waved her hand dismissively and scoffed. "We'll be fine without his help. Now come here and tell me what you think," she switched topics quickly.

I pushed myself off my bed and walked up next to her. She faced me with two hangers in her hand, one holding a shirt and the other occupied by a skirt. One eyebrow was raised and her weight was on one leg like she was waiting impatiently for my answer. Between the two of us, we've picked out enough outfits to last for at least two years worth of dates, and none have been the perfect one.

My eyes went back and forth between the top and the skirt a few times as I crossed my arms. A black long sleeve crop top, with a simple white grid-print straight skirt.

"I also got out a pair of tights and I just assumed you're going to wear those biker boots that you wear everywhere," she explained, rolling her eyes playfully at the idea of my Dr. Martens.

"Shut up, I love those boots," I chuckled. "But that's good, I'll wear that."

"Really?" She gawked at me, her hands lowering a bit, making the sleeves of the shirt drag on my floor. "Have we actually come to a conclusion?"

"I think so," I smirked. "I'm going to wash my face, be right back."

"I'm a genius!" I heard her yell as I left my room.

After an hour of makeup and hair (which was mostly spent taming the beast known as my head of waves), all that was left was to get dressed. In the meantime of getting ready, all I could think about was how I can't believe this is happening. I actually agreed to go out on a date with a guy. Like, the whole ordeal where he picks me up, takes me out to dinner, treats me, and drops me off at the end. Something I've been avoiding since the very beginning of my high school career.

What has happened to me?

"Are you nervous?" Blair asked as we descended the stairs.

I shrugged, unsure of how to answer her. My heart is calm, my head is clear, but I continued to have an uneasy, anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach for unknown reasons.