Ch. 9 Smile.

"You stalking me, kid?"

I heard her chuckle. "Kid.." She jogged a little to match my pace. "I hope I didn't scare you off, doll."

I scoffed. "You don't scare me."

"Oh?" She quirked her stupidly cocky brow and smiled.

"Look, I'm just trying to get to school. I don't need you and your.. dumb little, quirky half-smile thing today. I'm tired."

Because I couldn't stop thinking of you.

"Quirky, half-smile thing?" She dropped her voice low and seductive, the arch of her brow even more prominent.

"Ugh." I walked faster.

"I'm walking you." She states as a sure fact.

"What?" I stopped, noting she wasn't brandishing her ever so handy helmet. "No, no, no.. you'll only make things worse for the both of us."

"You think I'm scared of them?"

I stared at her bright brown eyes, always so confident, since the day she walked into English class.

"No." I huffed, continuing to walk.

"And you aren't. So what's the problem?"

"I don't know if you remember me hauling ass the other day, because my calf muscles do."

"Doesn't mean you were scared, you were just outmatched. Pick and choose your battles, right?"

"That's.. not it." I averted my gaze.

"Then tell me what is.. it." She emphasized.

What is this? You trying to get to know me? Ugh, fine. If this will get you to go away..

"I'm not scared of them and I didn't run because I was outmatched. Margot and I, we use to be friends.. we were really close. Since elementary school, all I can remember are my best memories being with her up until around freshman to sophomore year."

"What happened?" It was the second time I could remember seeing her face so deep in thought. The first being when she snuck into my class to interrogate me.

"She wanted to do this crazy crap.. something she thought would make her go up in the popularity food chain, which was absolutely ridiculous."

"Oh? And that was?"

"Something requiring my virtue, that I'm not willing to give up to any of the idiot boys at Green Grove, let alone a guy period." I froze.

Did I just say that out loud?

"Go away." I shook my head at myself. "I don't know why I'm talking to you. You pissed Margot off on my behalf, now I'm going to be the one to get further pissed on by her."

She stopped just behind me to my left.

"Why do you take her shit?"

"Like I said.." I sighed. "We were best friends.. that meant something to me. If I let it come to blows, she and I.. there's no coming back from that."

"Were you two ever.. a thing?"

"Really?" I turned around. "No!" I said disgusted. "It was never like that.. I just.. she was like the sister I never had, you know?"

"And now, you have Gina and Nancy."

"Okay?"

"Okay," She said back teasingly. "Start opening up to them. Trust people again, finally. Not everyone's a bîtch like Margot."

"So you're a shrink now, wise ass?" I couldn't help but to laugh at her stupid smile.

"Tell me," She gestured for us to keep walking and I reluctantly kept on with her at my side. "Why did you not wanting to have sex become the war grounds for a perished friendship?"

"You're better off finding that out other than me." I chuckled. "The next day came around and she was grooming April and the others to be her new sidekicks and I'd gotten the cold shoulder and a boot into the realm of bullying. It's like something out of a stupid teenage school movie flick."

"You shouldn't have to endure her hatred because of her envy."

I giggled a bit. "What?" But when I turned to face her, she was far from laughing. "Hey, don't be so upset. It happened a while ago."

"It's still happening and for what? Because their is a part of you that thinks Margot is still somewhat keen on the idea of being friends?"

I was at a loss for words.

She scoffed. "Fûck that, fûck her." She turned to face directly in front of me, stopping me in my tracks. She grabbed my hands in hers. "We're not doing anything by her rules. You hear me, kid? We're not."

Not even Gina had been so outspoken about my predicament as she was right now.

"I like you. I don't care how uncomfortable that makes anybody. And I damn sure ain't letting anyone dictate if I can or can't talk to you." She brought my hands closer up, I could feel her cool breath against my knuckles. "Or if I can or can't be around you."

"Why.. do you care so much?" I couldn't be angry anymore, not at her. Not with how she was looking at me right now.

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't." She pulled me into her, the smell of her leather jacket now more heady and thrilling as ever.

She's going to kiss me.. She's.. she's really going to do it..

My eyes started to flutter close, head tilting in a fashion that allowed me to see what was coming just before I closed them completely.

Awe shit.

I backed away. "Turn around.." My chest tightened. "..And there's your reason."