Ch. 3 Run Away.

"This is the only time I don't mind eating in the cafeteria with the rest of these shmucks." Gina smiled, holding up a leg. "I love chicken day."

"I second that." Nancy licked a finger clean.

I looked between the two of them. "I just want to go home and sleep."

"Four o'clock!" Gina slapped Nance's arm. "Clay girl in all her leather glory."

"God, you guys. Really? How long am I gonna have to listen to you stalk Gwen?" I all but snapped.

Gina's eyes would've rolled a whole three-sixty in their sockets had they not found me to focus on. "Since.. when?" She sounded appalled.

"This morning, I saw them all cuddled in a corner chopping it up. Guess first name basis was going to be a given." Nancy wiggled her brows of hers yet again and I wanted to wax them right off her face.

"What?" Gina hit my arm.

"It's not like that. We weren't.. cuddled up." I narrowed my eyes at Nancy. "We're.. locker buddies." I said sarcastically giddy.

"God is gifting you my friend." Gina nodded up and down slowly.

"Sure it's not the devil cursing me?" I smiled.

"Don't be ignorant." She rolled her eyes. "Look at her. She's a walking boner and all I've seemed to have the hots for, as of late, is Jaime."

"If you're into the whole.." I found myself watching her as well. "Leather.." My eyes trailed her jacket that fit perfectly around her arms. "Biker helmet.." I pictured those golden curls flying through the wind as she sped away on her bike. "And dumb smile.. kinda thing."

I mentally slapped myself.

Gina and Nance looked between each other, then back at me.

"What?" I snapped.

"Oh, nothing." Nancy stuffed one of Gina's chicken legs in her mouth.

"You've gotta lady hard-on just looking at her." Gina teased approvingly.

"If you two don't cut it out, I'm going to go make back friends with the troll that lives under the bridge."

"Margot? Stop." Gina waved my comment away with a chuckle. "Ugh, speaking of.." She gestured with a nod over to Gwen.

"Looks like Margot's trying to sink her claws into this one." Nancy scoffed. "I don't see how people don't smell her bullshit from a mile away."

"Oh, they do." I shook my head at the sight of Margot over-laughing at something Gwen said that obviously wasn't that funny. "They're just too much like flies to give a fûck."

"You're more grouchy than usual today, what's up?" Nancy tapped my knee with her hand.

"I don't know.. Guess I just need some sleep." I handed her my chicken to shut her up and laid my head down in my arms. "Wake me before the bell."

"Sure thing." Gina hadn't taken her eyes off of blondie.

And neither did I.

"If I don't get some proper shut eye, someone just might die."

The girls laughed. "A little more than halfway through the day. You got this, girlie."

I was nearly shoved against the lockers as a quartet of demons passed by.

"Watch it, Sticky Nicky." Margot turned to face me. "I'm walking here."

"Wanna try it with some bubblegum, bítch?" Gina balled her fist up, ready to swing.

"Gina, no." I grabbed her arm. "She isn't worth it."

"I don't know why you just won't let me.. just one good one." It took every ounce of her strength to behave. "I'd knock her lights clean out."

Nancy helped to block Gina from reaching for her. "Get lost, troll. Go back under your bridge and take your minions with you."

"Another mongrel to stand guard for you, as always, Sticky. You and I will have our moment, I promise you that."

"What the hell do you want from me, Margot?" I moved from behind the girls. "Ever since middle school, you've had it out for me. Why? What the hell is your problem?"

She shoved her minions out of the way with her shoulders to get in my face. "I hate you. I hate the air you breathe." She was so close, I could see her nose flare.

"Like I couldn't tell.. Get over yourself. You're not scaring me and you're lucky I don't let Gina rip you a fûcking new one. You're lucky I don't think you're worth it, otherwise-"

"Otherwise.. what?" She emphasized each syllable threateningly.

"Otherwise I'd-"

And then I heard a ringing in my right ear, followed by a searing burn that crept across my cheek. My hair whipped across my face as my head turned to the left.

"Gloves off!" Gina jumped towards her, but I put my arm out to stop her.

"She isn't.. she's not worth it.." I mumbled, standing there for a moment after the ringing stopped. "Let's go." I turned away.

"Cole.." Nancy grabbed my arm, leaving with me. "Come on, Gina. We're leaving school."

I could hear her laughing behind us. "That's right, Sticky Nicky. Run away from me like you've always done. Run away like your daddy did."

I froze. A strange chill set in, washing over my body.

She's not worth it. She's not worth it.

I bit back hot, angry tears.

She isn't fûcking worth it.

I took a heavy step, and then another, until I made it outside of the building. And away from from the painful truth.