"How about hot chocolate?" My son countered.

"Wonderful." My wife got up, the pile of new baby clothes in her arms. "I'll have some myself. I'll be right back."

She glanced at me, giving me an encouraging nod before leaving me alone with my sons and what seemed like an impossible to reach goal, one that I still aimed for after all of my failures: get closer to Alec.

Ollie was oblivious to the tension in the room, as always overjoyed that his older sibling had come to visit him. He was currently showing off his strength by punching the blue ball with his tiny fits, every so often looking up at Alec with love and pride in his eyes.

I took a deep breath and joined my sons on the floor, making sure to leave some space between me and Alec. I was sure he'd get up if I didn't.

"What have you got there, little man?" I asked my younger boy. "What has big brother Alec brought you?"

Ollie answered me with a gleeful "A-aa!"- the only thing he could say apart from 'daa' (when he saw me) and 'maa' (when he saw Lisa).

"You like that present, huh?" I continued. "You like what big brother Alec has brought you? You like it, huh?"

"A-aa!" Ollie clapped his hands and bounced on his feet.

Heart racing, I turned towards my older son: "Thank you, Alec."

Thump.

"Really."

Thump. Thump.

"For all your gifts."

Thump. Thump. Thump.

"I'm not doing it for you." Alec's hostile voice and the way he narrowed his eyes made my mind flash back to two decades ago when I - still a teenager - had begged his mother to let me see my son.

My stomach hardened and nausea came over me, but my throat had tightened so much, I could barely breathe, let alone throw up, even with my mouth hanging open as I was faced with Alec's cold gaze.

"Daa?"

A pull at my t-shirt made me lower my eyes to a worried, questioning Ollie. He'd finally sensed the tension in me, although he seemed clueless as to what had caused it. I pulled him into my embrace, closing my eyes and breathing in his calming scent as he lightly tapped my cheek.

"I'm leaving," Alec announced and my eyes flew open in time to see him rise and head for the door.

I jumped up, still holding onto Ollie, and called after my eldest: "Alec..."

He didn't stop.

"A-ec!" Ollie repeated as best as he could and his brother froze on the spot, just under the door frame.

Very slowly Alec turned around and took us in. He studied the two of us - me, with chest rapidly rising and falling, and Ollie, wriggling in my arms. He then treaded back into the living room, stopping in front of us, his attention on his baby brother.

"What did you just say?"

"A-ec!" Ollie reiterated, his inflection calmer than before.

"Alec," his brother corrected.

"A-ec!" Ollie grinned.

"Alec." This time the older sibling spoke slowly.

"A-ec! A-ec!" Ollie kept saying, each time with more enthusiasm.

A defeated sigh came from the blond and he reached out to pet Ollie's head.

"Silly little beast."

The affection in his voice made my eyes tear up.

Alec reached out and took Ollie from me - making sure to touch me as little as possible without endangering the toddler - then claimed the couch for the two of them.

It was fine by me, the pain at how Alec acted around me dulled by the joy of seeing the two of them interact in an affectionate way.

"Can he say anything else?" Alec asked and I smiled.

"'Daa' and 'maa'. You are the first person he calls by name."

"Except that my name isn't 'A-ec'," he said with no anger in his tone and the little one - who'd been temporarily busy chewing on another of the toys Alec had bought - went back to miscalling his sibling.

It was at this moment that Lisa returned, a tray with three mugs and a bottle of milk in her hands. She startled when she heard Ollie's new favorite word, but then smiled.

"You've learned something new, haven't you, my precious?" She gently caressed our son's cheek before placing the tray on our coffee table, nudging a few toys out of the way first. She then grabbed a mug with hot chocolate and sat down on one of our couches. I followed suit.

"Ollie really enjoys having you here, Alec," she said, taking a sip.

"That makes one of you."

I opened my mouth to refute my son's words, but was cut off by a knock on our front door.

"Expecting company?" Alec asked.

"Not really," Lisa said, getting up once more to go open the door.

The corners of Alec's lips tilted upwards, revealing his fangs.

"Let's see which member of the Bullets decided to come help you out with your bastard son," Alec said, cruel amusement on his face.

This was so hard to write without it being absolutely depressing. Anyway, we are back to Alec's POV in the next chapter. What did you think of this one?

Are you happy I included Everett's POV?

Do you think Alec is too cruel to him?

Do you think Ollie might somehow help his father and sibling make progress in their relationship?

Who do you think came to visit Everett and Lisa to help them out with Alec if needed?

Please support this chapter with a VOTE if you enjoyed it! I hope you have a great time wattpadding!

PS: Last week I posted the blurb and a tiny teaser to Kennedy's stories in the Dogs, Bats & Monkeys Series: EXTRAS. Link in the first comment and asan External link.

PPS: I'm so happy you guys seem to find Ollie adorable! I'm not used to writing characters of that age.