Chapter 44

The correct answers to the game are in the chapter below. This chapter is dedicated to starcrossedlovers06, who put the right answer to all eleven names; the names of the other three winners are announced at the bottom A/N.

 This chapter is dedicated to starcrossedlovers06, who put the right answer to all eleven names; the names of the other three winners are announced at the bottom A/N

"Shifting doesn't have anything to do with you," I repeated. "It's just something I can do like running or playing the piano; why would I report that to you?"

"We are shifters," Jasper stressed.

Before I could speak, Keri intervened:

"While I see how that ability might be something you'd like to keep private, Alec, I'm afraid I can't support your decision to keep quiet about it. The law to register such an ability is there for a purpose, not to mention that you grew up with no one to mentor you; if you'd told us about it, we could've helped you through the process."

"I'm doing just fine without your help," I pointed out.

"Ungrateful." Jasper snorted.

"What do I have to be grateful for?" I shot at him.

"How many chances did we give you to join us through the years?" He questioned without skipping a beat and I slightly narrowed my eyes at him.

"You in particular? None."

"Boys." Keri stepped in once more.

"And as my cousin mentioned," Jasper got back to the previous topic, "you knowingly broke the law. And that wasn't even your biggest offense towards us. What you did last summer..."

I sighed in exasperation."We already went through this."

"Ungrateful, a liar, someone who laughs at his own family... A criminal; why would we want you here?" Jasper wasn't giving up, some of the crowd humming their approval as he kept on talking.

"Alec hasn't been convicted yet," Everett replied before I could.

"Yet being the keyword here," my greatest accuser stressed.

"As for laughing at his own family," Kennedy joined in, "I was the one who called Carter a wuss; what are you going to do? Suggest to excommunicate me too?"

Jasper would probably enjoy that, I thought. One less opponent for the Alpha spot. His son though... My gaze fell on Horse who was stepping from foot to foot. Not at all.

"We are not talking about you," Jasper spat out. "You aren't the center of attention, as much as you always covet the spotlight."

The atmosphere in the room got considerably cooler, eyes glaring and this time not in my direction.

Attacking a child and a pack favorite at that?

I smirked.

Bad choice, Jasper! Bad choice.