Chapter 3

Hey, kittens!

Thank you for waiting patiently for this update and for the announcement of who won my giveaway.

Congratulations to @majesticwolf333, @ShyPenguin and @RainaSage ! You each won a chapter dedication from one of my Dogs, Bats & Monkeys novels and yes, you can pick the novel.

And now, the new chapter, but first: a little info that you might've forgotten.

1. There are two subspecies of vampires: the more human-like Dayers (Alec's family) and the creature-like Nighters.

2. The names of the Sentinels who brought Alec for questioning are Richard King and Kevin Martinez.

3. "The Order" is short for both "the Sentinel Order" and "the Order of the Hunters". Since the chapter has Sentinels and no Hunters, it obviously refers to the former here.

 Since the chapter has Sentinels and no Hunters, it obviously refers to the former here

Alec looked bored.

I watched him from behind the one-way mirror as his pale eyes tried to find anything of interest while he sat in one of our interrogation rooms, waiting for the Sentinels on his case to question him about a murder. He'd occasionally sigh or casually look at his nails.

I didn't know how he could manage that, given the circumstances.

Scrap that. I did know. He was a heartless, selfish bastard.

But a murderer?

Last year, I'd heard that he and his cousin Vika had managed to kill a Nighter. With how bloodthirsty and inhuman that vampire subspecies was, getting rid of one was not a crime. It was a very difficult and dangerous task, and some of my coworkers had been impressed. The rest of them thought the same as me: that it was reckless.

Whichever your opinion, destroying a Nighter was different than ending a human.

An innocent human.

A human he had known and bedded, and now he acted as if he couldn't care less. As if we were just wasting his time.

My hands balled into fists by my sides.

He probably perceived me the same way. Just another of the many, many people that he'd brought home to fuck. Not that I'd had any illusions about him having feelings for me, nor did I want him to.

But this level of disregard?

It made me feel even angrier at myself for the night we'd spent together.

The door to the small room I was in opened and King and Kevin came inside. They were the ones who had brought Alec in after I'd told them I'd seen the halfbreed near the place where the young man had died. They'd first asked the victim's girlfriend - Sarah, whether she knew Alec and she'd informed them Alec had hooked up with her and Simon, and drank from them on the night in question. He'd left, and Sarah had followed suit soon after to buy cigarettes. When she'd returned, Simon had been dead.