"Damn."

The bunch is quiet for a small amount of time. All three intern surgeons, they are just waiting around for someone to give them direction.

"And they can't save her leg? After all of this she's gone through? After all she's done for, well, all of us, really?"

"Look at the imaging. It's been torn too many times: I mean, she's had five surgeries before one held enough for her to use crutches. There was a minor tear just two years ago that healed itself, but this just looks way too far gone. There's no clean margins, and the margins that once were clean are now shredded."

"There has to be a way..."

"Scott has been on her case since the beginning; since the day she ripped that knife out of her leg. If there's a way to fix it, she'll know how."

+    +    +

"Four you've got to calm down." Shauna tenses through the phone at him. "Thomas is fine, Indy is fine, they're both here. Tris is an strong independent woman, and she will be okay. You have to trust me."

Four is silent on the other line. He tried calling Amar first, who originally left him a message telling him to call him back. He didn't answer, so he called Zeke, whose phone was answered by Shauna.

Now he stands, way out at the wall, waiting anxiously for the train that should be coming within five minutes.

"Chances are they won't let you see her when you get there. She'll probably be in surgery."

"Chances are," he spits, his anger clear. "That it's inoperable."

"Okay, you don't want to be reassured. Whatever." Shauna is petty; angry that he's being so rude when she's just trying to help. "I'll be here when you suddenly decide you feel bad about talking this way." She hangs up the phone, turning to Thomas who sits on the couch in her living room. She puts on a smile for the boy, not wanting to make him more upset than he already is.

"Your Daddy's coming home!" She knows how much he has missed his father, and hopes to cheer him up.
His expression doesn't change as he depressingly wheels a red car back and forth on a pillow.

Shauna sighs, unsure of what to say or do, and still angry at the way Four talked to her on the phone.

"You know, your Mama makes your father a totally different person." She shakes her head, basically talking to herself. "She changed him, and for the better. I knew him a few years before I met her, and he just was not too nice of a guy. But then suddenly your Mom came around and, well, she made him a nice guy."

And then your Mama got taken away from him, and the not nice guy came back around. She thinks to herself, the small child crawling into her lap. And then she came back, and he came back.

Now she might be gone for awhile, and we might have to deal with the not so nice guy for a while.

He means well— he worries about her.

She is his weakness.

She makes him smile.
She makes him genuine.
She makes him be the kind of guy worth being around.