Chapter 69 - Not All Bad

— Tris

I help myself to a chocolate muffin on the counter, my gaze barely loosing Chris's when I return to my spot leaning on the doorframe.

"Can I have one?" She asks and I move again, tossing her one from across the room. She thanks me and peels off the wrapper.

We stand, eating the muffins for about ten minutes before I've had enough. I leave the apartment, not saying a word when I excuse myself.

And I keep things like that for a long time.

In the weeks following, cards are shown.

One of the Jacobs discovered it was Kaylee who sabotaged visiting week. I don't know how he figured it out, but she apparently wanted to destroy my life some more by tossing some titles around about me.
And it wasn't hard for people to believe her with the whole "scandal" over Phillip and the article that was posted about me during that week.
My life was a hell for those two weeks following visiting week.

Since returning to the city, I've chosen to pick my battles instead of charging at every person that challenges me.
Kaylee was a test of this choice of mine.

A week after visiting week she swung her fist at my face, which I blocked and twisted in self defense. Because of her crippling to the ground, more rumors spread that I was in fact dangerous.

Upon a meeting after her violence with Josh, Kaylee revealed her motives for terrorizing my name: she had a sister who was killed in the war, possibly placed in the same prison as me and many of my friends, and yet never returned.
Kaylee is, and has been convinced for a while that her sister would have been in a part of the New York program that I was.
Therefore, she believes somehow that I, out of all of the people in that program, cost her sister her life.
But the chances of that are minimal.
Chances are she was actually killed in the war and was never even an option to be placed in the building.

And that was my life for three weeks.
And I had to do it all while shunning my best friend.

It took her forever to learn I didn't want to talk to her.
She would text me at late hours of the night, show up at random places, even sometimes she would stand in my office door begging for me to forgive her.

And I did, once.
And that next day another article was posted about the staff training I have been doing with Chris and Zeke, and how it will be integrated into the next Dauntless initiation.
Also that next day she showed up calling me a selfish bitch, saying how all I want is attention, positive or negative from each and every situation.
And she was right.
The positivity about me in that article made everyone forget about the weeks prior where I was apparently "lashing out on people and ruthlessly saving lives and harming others".

People began to see me as a person after that article— seeing me be able to use my negative past for good in this city, even though I will not be part of the initiation process for my own choosing.

Her screaming at me in my living room— this was a battle I chose not to fight.
Call me weak.
Call me shy.
Call me a goddamn coward if you desire.

I'm not spinning in circles for irrelevance.
I'm not spinning in circles to scream at Christina for no good.

Tobias raised his voice at her, saying something along the lines of getting away from his wife and his home.
She's always been more scared of him than me.
I think she forgot that fact though, for she never showed up at our apartment again.