Epilogue

Epilogue

—Third Person

The second the drug hit her veins she was unconscious: fifty percent from the pain, fifty percent from her body receiving the narcotic.

She was gone the second that drug entered her system. It circulated in her body, created a comfort that eased the pain she was having.

All those years she had so much widespread pain.
They told her it was mental— all in her head.

But the facts were that she was suffering from drug addiction, and her body was constantly wanting this drug.

And now her body has it.
Now her body is happy.
But she is not.

+ + +

"There's no operating rooms available."

"It doesn't matter, this is inoperable. Do you see that?"

"What the hell happened to her?"

"You've never heard of Beatrice Prior? She was a Dauntless rebel in the Faction War, deemed genetically pure by the Bureau, and somehow her death was faked by the Bureau. She was kidnapped in that building and being trained to be sent to New York. See the branding on her palm, and the lines on her forearm? She was shot, I want to say, seven times in the leg while imprisoned, and brought back to the city with a rusty knife lodged in her leg. It's a miracle her leg was saved— yet alone still functional so many years later."

"How do you know all of this?"

"How do you not? She's only like the most controversial person in the city. She's the reason the New York people swarmed the city: they wanted her back. The training she received from that program trained her to stay alive against all odds. Forget Dauntless initiation; if this girl wanted, she could be a killer."

"She's not a girl. Dave, this woman has a husband and son, and she's the head ambassador of Dauntless. She's twenty-eight, for God's sake! She's three years older than you!"

"Where is New York anyways?"

"About eight hundred miles East of here, give or take."

"Why her?"

"Probably her genetic purity. She's the only one that knows the specifics of the program, and who knows, from her trials she doesn't even know much about it. She was kidnapped and forced to be a part of it. It's not like kidnappers have to tell their captives what they're doing, I mean, think about it Jan."

"What was the program for anyways?"

"Basically a fertility pool. New York is a mess— the city is dominated by high testosterone males and has limited to no females. Guess the plan was to train women to be strong enough to deal with those males and just reproduce. It's disgusting."

"What's New York now?"

"Just that. Nothing changed because the program fell through. Everyone thinks she might know why, but because of her memory damage from such a few a severe concussions she never was able to tell in a trial when questioned because she doesn't remember knowing."

"No, that's not true," a fourth Erudite joins the banter. "Dauntless visiting week last year she shared that she caused the program to collapse. She stabbed the ambassador of the program in a fight that was suppose to kill her but instead she killed him. She said it was the last thing that she remembers, probably because she herself was no longer part of the program after a decision like that. It's amazing they let her live after that."