My Best Story

Varric and Reader

"And the other dwarf. Tell me about Y/n!" Cassandra commanded the dwarf in front of her.

"Y/n? What does this have to do with Hawke?" Varric mused from his chair, teasing Cassandra. Cassandra groaned in response. "Fine! It all started after the Deep Roads..."

"So an elf framed a dwarf?" Hawke commented as the group headed to Lowtown. "Classic!"

"Hawke! Thank the Maker you're here!" A male cheered as he rushed to the group. He explained the situation to the group, mentioning the fact that there is already a dwarf trying to help people in the area. "They could use your help!"

The group ran into the side alley, instantly regretting having to walk into the green poisonous gas. Even with the gas making it hard to see, the group watched as a small silhouette started to emerge from deeper in.

"Hawke, right?" The voice called, now in sight. "I knew you'd come around! I figured out where the gas is coming from. Closed one of them, but there's crazies everywhere. One even bit me!"

There, in front of the group, stood a small h/c dwarf. A rogue dwarf going by the daggers sheathed on their back.

"Oh! I was too busy complaining to introduce myself! The name's Y/n. Skilled thief and former mercenary!"

Varric and Y/n got along well. Maybe even too well. Everyone started to notice more and more as the days continued to go by.

"So... You and Y/n?" Hawke grinned at his friend, eager to hear the story.

"Is it that obvious?" Varric chuckled, humouring his bear looking friend. The pair continued small banter between each other when Aveline interrupted the pair.

"Varric! Hawke! It's Y/n!" Aveline spoke fast and stern, concern lacing her words.

Everyone has their problems, of course. Y/n's involved their former mercenary band coming to Kirkwall. Aveline had informed Y/n, not knowing that the dwarf would turn around and hunt them down. Y/n had left for a reason.

The whole charade ended with the mercenaries' end, to Y/n's dismay.

After that, Y/n disappeared for days. No one knows what Y/n did, but not long after their return, rumours of a dwarf saving slaves erupted throughout Alienages, especially ones caught and harassed by Y/n's former mercenary band.

"Stories tell me that a dwarf went around saving slaves," Varric mused as he stared at Y/n.

"I do wonder who that would have been," y/n toyed, trying to dodge the other dwarf's accusation.

"The stories also say that the dwarf was also a great thief. Great enough that they managed to steal my heart," Varric cooed, inching closer towards Y/n. Varric now stood a few centimetres in front of the dwarf, awaiting a response to his flirting.

"Mustn't be that great of a thief..." Y/n started before slowly leaning into Varric. Right before their lips touched, Y/n whispered to the dwarf. "...Because you managed to steal my heart as well,".

And just like that, the two found themselves in a passionate kiss.

"So Y/n is your lover?" Cassandra questioned, enjoying the story Varric was telling. "Where is Y/n now?"

"Hopefully with Hawke and Fenris. Someone's gotta keep those two out of trouble when we're not together. As for their whereabouts, I wouldn't know currently," Varric answered.

"I did not think I would be in for a love story when we brought you in, Varric," Cassandra sighed. "Nor did I think it would be that of your love story,".

"Yeah... my love story," Varric smiled, looking down at the painted picture of Y/n. 

"My best story,".