B2 - 9. Getting Out Of Hand

Start from the beginning

"Completely understandable," Gerard stated. "I've read some of the reports and opinions you've had on the matter recently. I must say that I am a little bias toward certain monsters from the loss of friends, but I do recognize that that is not a reflection of the entire monster community. Because of that, the organization has taken upon itself to revisit its monster policy as mere study subjects and vermin; I have recently been given a directive, by the board, to incorporate monsters into our facility."

Orrin's face showed a hint of surprise. "Is that right? Then you have captured some creatures on American soil recently that we weren't aware of?"

Gerard shook his head promptly. "I have reached out to the appropriate intermediaries within your department, but the news is so recent that perhaps you haven't been informed. There have been two massive groups captured, and because of that, and the circumstances surrounding their appearance, we have had to tread very carefully. The information gathered should be passing the Committee's desk within the next two days. That being said, we have been making efforts at incorporating them, but with the sheer size of the groups, and their hostile actions, we have had to be cautious for the safety of staff. We've already had casualties."

Leaning back further, Orrin crossed his legs, a low hum in his throat. "What are the details?"

Gerard resisted the urge to lick his lips, straightening in his chair. "The first group was seen in the Appalachian Mountains, in Tennessee, near the Virginia and Kentucky borders outside of a small town called, Big Stone Gap. I assume you've at least heard about the capture within that time. It was a group of about fifteen monsters in all, each very different from the rest, yet upon seeing us, they initiated an attack."

"Is that right?" Orrin asked, eyes narrowing. "You have footage, I assume."

"Yes, and I'd be happy to put it on for you after I've discussed the groups. Is that acceptable?" Gerard asked. I need to make him see that these creatures are dangerous. He couldn't have come to a better base to understand that.

"Yes," Orrin said as he shifted to a more comfortable position.

"We lost half our initial unit and had to call upon reserve personnel to apprehend them after their opening attack. Most of the casualties were from a húli jīng, a Vulpes, which killed my Division Commander. We lost about thirty men to her alone." Gerard let the silence hang for a moment.

Orrin folded his arms together as his eyes shifted to the side. "Duncan, what is a húli jīng?"

Gerard's vision turned to the dark-skinned man as he spoke, his tone deep. "A húli jīng is a Chinese Fox Spirit. They are generally seen as the weakest of the Vulpes race but depending on the number of souls they ingest, or in having an affiliation to Inari, basically the fox Goddess, they can become quite powerful. They are known among Vulpes for their ability to alter light, making mirages to trick people around them. Their specialty is tricking their prey to their deaths and subtle manipulation within their victim's emotional state to kill one another as they watch for enjoyment, feeding off the emotional energy produced. They often seek to make others work for them, and choose the easiest route—in general; they are known to be quite vindictive and cruel."

Lips tightening for a moment, Orrin nodded. "Thank you, Duncan." Turning to Gerard, he asked, "the men's families?"

Studying Orrin for a moment, Gerard rested his hands on his lap. Does he care about the soldier's families? "Working for the company gives them life insurance; so, they will be taken care of, but—you understand that isn't what their families wanted. The incident will be covered up, naturally, since to the public they are coal miners; their bravery will not be made light."