B2 - 9. Getting Out Of Hand

Gerard leaned back in his chair; he closed his eyes for a moment, sighing as the speaker activated. "Sir, I just finished giving Senator Brickly the tour. We will be in shortly, and he seems to have a monster bodyguard." Betty informed.

Stretching out his back, he yawned before rubbing his eyes. Connecting to Betty's headset, he said, "Thanks, Betty. I'll be waiting." Gerard prepared himself, doing a quick once over of his appearance. He'd been wearing the same pinstripe suit for the past twenty-six hours, but it was still presentable. He pressed a button on his tablet and the screens rose to the ceiling on rails, rails following the displays.

The door opened to reveal a man of average height for Americans. Gerard had read Senator Orrin Brickly's file that Betty organized; the man was a registered Republican but held a few Liberal views. His initiation into the monster community was less than four months ago, and he'd shadowed several positions in the American Monster Initiative to understand their proceedings. He had serious sway within the committee from personal ties and had plenty of power to red tape their operations in America; Gerard was expected not to blow this.

He wore a simple black suit with a peak-fold pocket square, and a red tie. His formal white shirt seemed pressed, and his gold cufflinks gleamed with his wedding ring. The man had a decent amount of black hair that was pulled back and was cleanly shaven. His piercing blue eyes swiftly examined the room behind sharp glasses.

Just behind him was a dark-skinned, clean-shaven man in similar attire; he filled out the suit well with his muscular physique. Completely yellow eyes swept the room for danger, obviously the Senator's monster security detail. Once securing the room and shutting the door, his uncanny eye settled on Gerard. What kind of monster is he? I've heard rumors that some of the American diplomats in the Monster Initiation contract monsters for security, but it's something else to see it.

Rising, Gerard asked, "Senator Brickly, I hope your trip was safe?" Extending his hand as he neared.

"Call me Orrin," he responded, firmly taking Gerard's hand. He had a light southern drawl. "And yes, no trouble."

His bodyguard took up position by the door, standing firmly alert as Orrin took the seat across from Gerard.

"Good," Gerard said as he sat back down. "We can keep it first name basis then since we'll be working together."

Orrin nodded. "I was briefed on how the Special Paranormal Defense Corporation has handled monsters in the past, and I wonder if it will clash with our Monster Incorporation Act? I want to get your views on the matter before any official proceedings begin."

Gerard hummed as he leaned back. So, he's pro monster; makes sense that he'd side with the Republican party on the matter. Why do the Republicans want them incorporated into American society? Plus, his only guard is a monster after a mere four month of exposure to the monster community. I wonder if the Western Continental Director pulled some strings to send him to my facility; I bet he'd be interested in a few of our recent captures. They are illegal, so it doesn't break the Act. If he understands the dangers of monsters maybe the next revision will call for harsher restrictions.

Smiling, Gerard folded his fingers together. "Orrin, I'm with you that monster rights have needed to be addressed for some time, and the organization has recognized the American movement as we are a legitimate company. America has a history of protecting rights, but also the overall safety of its citizens."

Orrin nodded, smile lifting slightly. "Of course, you understand very well and public safety is our primary objective. That said, the understanding of monsters and the study to differentiate between nature vs. nurture is imperative in determining the level of integration that is acceptable. The fact is that we do not know enough about monsters, in general, to sanction the mass slaughter as done centuries past. There are many peaceful creatures that have lived among humans for centuries. We need all the facts about their behaviors and types of monsters to accurately determine placement. That is why we have made great efforts in learning about the monsters within our borders."