B1 - 1. Ten Days; Free?

Sora rubbed her left shoulder nervously as she stood before Miami Beach Senior High's psychologist's office. Doctor Mary Jernigan borrowed the office to meet with Sora during school days since the time suited Mary's schedule. After Taking a deep breath, Sora knocked on the door.

"Come in," Dr. Mary called out.

Sora entered. The office was cozy, with a couch and cushioned chairs sharing space with filing cabinets and a computer desk. Different tests and games sorted by age group were neatly organized on the many shelves. The ordinarynormal school carpet was covered by many colorful rugs. Odd abstract paintings adorned the walls, making the room even more vibrant with colour.

Mary sat facing the couch on one of the cushioned chairs. She was a thin lady in her mid-thirties with a kind face, standing a little taller than Sora. Her curled brown hair hung to her shoulders,, while her makeup drew attention to her deep, brown eyes. Colorful speckles spread across a simple v-cut navy-blue dress matched by a pair of navy-blue, two-and-a-half-inch cutout heels, with a rhinestone encrusted design. Mary's eyes carefully followed Sora as she took the seat across from her.

Sora slid off her backpack, shifting in her seat as the awkward silence continued. She bit her lower lip, stomach twisting. I hate it when she makes me initate the conversationstart! With Anxiety bubbling within her, Sora couldn't help herself. "Kari's a monster." Her eyes shifted onto Mary to examine herMary's response.

Mary's passive smile slowly curledturned into a slight frown as she crossed her legs. "What happened?"

"I—did something yesterday that I probably shouldn't have." When Mary didn't reply, Sora took a deep breath. "Do you remember the time, before Summer Break, when Kari shaved off all my hair—you've seen how fast it grows, in three months it's already reaching halfway down my back..." she trailed off.

"You do have pretty hair," Mary commented, " thick, shiny copper. It's your most striking feature. I guess your Japanese heritage gives you a unique beauty, added with your unusual hair. Many girls would be jealous—especially with how fast it seems to grow." Mary's eyebrows came together with concern as Sora continued.

"Since today is the start of the school year, I—I didn't want the bullying to continue. Three years were just ... last year I set up a camera in the locker room where Kari normally bullied me—and recorded her and her group shaving me ... while saying all the nasty things she usually says—like how I stink all the time." She mumbled.

Mary rubbed her hands, her brown eyes shifting to the room's wall; fingers intertwining joining together, her features turned more serious when her focus returned to Sora. "That's dangerous, Sora."

Biting her lip for a moment, Sora shifted uncomfortably on her seat before saying, "I—I sent it to the police station yesterday."

Mary's hand went to her mouth as she looked down at the floor; she seemed to need a moment to be contemplate a response. Sora noticed her swallow before knotting her hands. She took a deep breath before saying, "Sora—you know this isn't..." She cut off as the bell rang throughout the school.

Mary went silent as if thinking. "I've learned that Kari is connected to some very dangerous people, Sora. I don't know who they are, but you know Kari better than most. You've told me about the teachers and students that suddenly change their opinions of her overnight. You've also expressed your suspicions that your previous psychologist's, Doctor Hallmark, hospitalization was due to Kari's involvement. It's—a very brave thing you did. Have you received any calls from the department?" She hesitated, but Sora noted a hopeful tone in her voice.

Sora held her breath as she shook her head nervously. Anger, frustration, and anxiety boiled to the surface; she couldn't hold back any longer. "The students know Kari's a bully ... teachers know ... you know ... everyone seems to know. Yet—yet everyone made my dad think I'm crazy! They told him I'm seeking attention because he's always gone on business. For three years—three years, she's bullied me—everyone, but no one stops her. The school even made me see the school psychologist, but my dad wanted someone better, so he hired Doctor Hallmark."