Chapter 18

"Okay, so when Chandler... died, I started seeing her," Veronica tried to think of the right thing to say, "...her ghost." McNamara looked at her, disbelief crossing her face.

"Her... ghost?" McNamara repeated. Veronica  nodded her head, silently pleading she'd believe her. Chandler still watched them, as though they were characters on a show. "Can... can you see her right now?" McNamara asked, her voice dropped to a whisper, and was filled with worry and uncertainty.

Veronica hesitated before responding, "Yeah, she's right here." She looked at Chandler, motioning to her. Chandler's smile widened. Distrust covered McNamara's face, because — well, she obviously couldn't see anyone there. She started to doubt whether Veronica was telling the truth or not.

"If you didn't want to tell me, you could've just said so." Her voice sounded resentful, hurt. Veronica's eyes shot back to her.

"No, no, Mac. I'm being serious." McNamara noted how honest she sounded, and it made her wonder if that was the most truthful thing she had told her.

"Really?" Veronica nodded her head. "Heather Chandler is sitting right there?" She pointed to where Veronica had previously motioned to, and she nodded again. "Okay, then... I think study hall is almost over..." Veronica seemed to understand what she meant. She skipped study hall earlier to go over to McNamara's house, and now McNamara is trying to politely tell her to leave.

"Yeah, you're probably right..." The hurt she felt was apparent in her voice. She got up, and made her way out the door, McNamara mumbling a "sorry" under her breath before she could. Veronica heard it, but chose to ignore it and continued to leave.

Meanwhile, Chandler still sat on the couch, stunned. Oh hell yeah. Do I sense a fight coming up? I sure hope so- her thoughts were cut off when McNamara mumbled something to herself.

"Why do I have to have a crush on a nut... I'm allergic to nuts..." Oh, okay she's thinking out loud now. "Maybe she should go to a therapist." You know what, for once you're right, but for different reasons then you think.
-
-
-
-
-
Veronica quickened her pace once she left McNamara's house. She said she wouldn't think I was crazy... She said she would never think I was crazy. She does now, though. She definitely does. I saw the look she gave me. She didn't believe me.

Before she knew it, she was back at school, the bell ringing as soon as she stepped inside. She was so distracted by her own thoughts, she didn't even notice Martha trying to get her attention.

"Veronica? Veronica? Hey, Veronica-" She gets cut off by a group of kids — how inconvenient, I know — who push her away from Veronica, before she can notice her.

Veronica goes to her class, ignoring everything around her. Now I'm in a bad mood, thanks Mac. Whenever she got to her class, she didn't listen to anything that her teacher said. Duke even tried to talk to her at some point, but gave up after it was obvious Veronica wasn't listening.
-
-
-
-
-
That day was the slowest for Veronica. But, she was able to make it through the past six hours. Now, she was at home, laying in bed, her eyes closed,  instead of doing homework. All she could think about was everything that went wrong that day. McNamara and Duke broke up,— which Veronica thought was great at the time— she told McNamara about how she could see Chandler, who now thinks she's crazy. God. She said she wouldn't think I was crazy. I saw it in her eyes. She decided to just stop thinking all together, and try to take a nap. After a few seconds, she was awoken.

"Hey." Her eyes shot open. She recognized the voice, yet it was almost unfamiliar to her. She quickly sat up, to see a very familiar face. She felt her heart skip a beat, or several, and was at a loss for words, until she thought of something to say:

"I thought you were dead."

Hahah. More suspense. I bet you know who it is though.