Chapter 5

Veronica's POV

I went down to Martha's front door about to leave, when the door suddenly opened, hitting my leg, and Martha's head peered out the door.

"Oh! Veronica, I'm so sorry! I really didn't mean to-" I cut her off,

"It's fine. Worse things have happened to me," I said as I shuddered, "but that's beside the point. I need to talk." She nodded her head and stepped inside. I went over to her couch and sat down, her sitting after.

"So, what is it?" She asked. I thought about what I was about to say for a moment.

"Um, well... so I kindofhaveacrushonheathermcnamara." I blurted out, my words jumbled together. I  prayed she would understand my gibberish.

"What was that about Heather McNamara?"

"I-I kind of... like her." I admitted while looking down.

"Oh." Was all she said before she got up and walked in circles. "Oh! Oh!"

3rd POV

Martha then realized what had actually come out of her friend's mouth. She had never imagined her best friend liking girls. No, she needs to support Veronica. They had been best friends their entire lives, and she didn't want that to change. "It's fine, Veronica." She said in a soft voice, sitting back down on the couch. Veronica lifted her head,

"Really?" The other girl nodded, "Oh god, thank you so much Martha!" The darker haired girl hugged her friend. "You're amazing."

"It's no problem, Veronica. You're my best friend, I'd do anything to support you." Martha comforted. "Even if you do like Heather McNamara, I won't judge you for that. I know if I had a similar situation, you'd do the same." All Veronica could do was smile thankfully at her friend. They heard a small thud from the stairs, but chose to ignore it.

-

McNamara tripped as she ran up the stairs as quickly as she could. She didn't mean to listen to their conversation, but now she knows why Veronica was acting weird. She didn't know what to do. Veronica was the closest friend she had, and quite frankly, the only one. She had no one to talk to. She was going to have to figure this out herself.

*

Veronica walked through the doors of the school, and went off searching for her friends- or one of them. She went to her locker and was greeted by McNamara, whose locker was right next to hers.

"Hey Mac." Veronica greeted the shorter girl.

"Oh, uh- hi, Ronnie." McNamara looked down, and quickly started walking to her class. Was it something she said?

At lunch, Veronica sat by McNamara, who just stared at her 'food.' Martha sat with Betty Finn today, because they had a lot to catch up on. "So, Mac." The girl looked up. "Are you okay? You've been acting weird." The blond girl almost laughed at that. It was only a couple days ago where she had asked the same thing. Now things were reversed.

"Y-yeah. Yeah I'm fine." All Veronica did was nod, not wanting to invade McNamara's privacy. Then, a thought hit her. Did Martha tell her about her crush? It would explain the sudden awkwardness. How could she let this slide so easily? Her friendship with Mac means everything to her. She can't lose it over a stupid crush. She would have to find a way.

"Hey, Mac," she began, "did Martha tell you about anything I might've said at the sleepover?"

"Oh-um, no. Of course-of course not... no." Mac sputtered out. Looking down as a faint blush of embarrassment crept upon her face. It was true, Martha didn't say anything. She just happened to be there.

Now Veronica knew she found out. Whether Martha told her or not. Mac was horrible at lying. She knew she hated it too, but can't blame her for trying to hide it. She'll just have to find a way to tell her.