"Yes, She told me about it" I replied and dropped my phone on the island counter to make a pot of coffee. "Mama, I'm having some friends over what should I make, do you think I should go traditional or make something impressive?"

"Hmmmm" mama replied and I could imagine her scrunching up her nose and biting her cheek like she did whenever she was thinking about something. "I think you should do a bit of both, make some snacks, sweet and savoury, so that you have an assortment of them, and then do proper food to eat"

"Okay" I nodded my head already getting a picture of some brownies and samosas, "what did you use in your brownies to make them extra chewy again? "

"Brownies are a good idea, use molasses and brown sugar instead of caster sugar, makes for a more gooey consistency"

See she knows the answer to everything, literally everything.

"All right thank you Mama"

"okay bye bye, your sister just came in, talk to her"mama said and before I had a chance to reply her Layla's voice came through the phone.

"Hey sissy" she said and sounded a little out of breath.

"Hey leilo, how are you?" I asked as I poured myself a cup of coffee and leaned on the kitchen counter.

"I am feeling great, I just came back from halaqah, how are you? How's Yaya Ali? " she said all in one breath.

"I'm fine, he's fine, talk slowly Layla, its too early" I scolded.

"Maybe for you, but its past one o'clock here"

"Right"

"Hey Adda are you busy now? I've been meaning to talk to you about something, but it- it can wait if you're busy, its not that important " she stammered.
I heard the closing of a door and a sound like she'd plopped down on a bed.

"Layla, you could call me at two am in the morning, I will listen to you you know, now spill" I waited for her as she took a deep breath.

"Well the thing is th--"

"Good morning" I looked up to see Ali walk into the kitchen flashing me a bright smile.

"Morning " I replied. He walked to the fridge and picked a bottle of water and then back to the island, he pulled out a chair and sat down before opening the bottle and after saying bismillah, he gulped down the water.

"You know babe, you could finish the call before you stare me down" he teased.

I immediately looked away, I hadn't even realized that I'd been staring at him and now I felt so embarrassed by it, well could you blame me, he was wearing dark blue sweat pants and a white plain t shirt that hugged his toned body well.

"Uh Layla, I'm listening to you" I said grabbing my phone from the counter and taking it of speaker mode, I pressed it to my ear and looked up at Ali, who shook his head and laughed silently.

"That's okay, we'll talk when you're not busy, sounds like yaya Ali is around " she replied.

"you can still talk to me Layla, don't be silly"

"No really, call me when you're free and tell him happy birthday for me, I already messaged him on facebook though"

I was about to force whatever information she was keeping from me out of her but it got caught up in my throat,
It was his birthday today, I didn't know that at all and he didn't mention it too.

Great job in the wife department Amani, so far you're in the running for worlds worst wife

"So you guys are Facebook friends?" I asked  Wondering who on earth still did Facebook. Apparently my sister and husband did.