■ THIRTY- ONE ■

■ THIRTY-ONE ■

I felt fingers trail across my shoulder blades, slowly my eyes fluttered open. Mekhi sat up in bed beside me, his silver eyes reflecting an emotion I couldn't recognise.

"Mekhi?" I muttered, causing him to stir out of his thoughts.

His silver eyes met mine but the smile he gave me didn't meet them. "Good morning," he said quietly.

"Are you okay?" I asked, raising myself up to my elbows.

"Yeah I'm fine," he replied, watching me shift.

I frowned, sitting up properly. "Are you sure?" I asked.

Sighing, he looked away. "I don't want to talk about it," he replied.

He pushed back the bed covers and stood up, walking over to the wide windows. I watched him. "Was I not- good enough?" I asked, self conscious.

Mekhi turned his body to face me. The sunlight bounced off his hard defined body and I was suitably reminded of how that felt last night. "It's nothing about that," he said calmly.

I pulled the sheets up to my chest, not fully convinced. "Than why don't you talk to me? Maybe I can help" I trailed off.

"You can't"

"You don't know that unless you talk to me, Mek-" I almost finished saying before he snapped.

"You wouldn't understand, so it doesn't matter to you, why do you always have to know what's going on in my head!" He snapped.

I was annoyed. "Maybe because you always know what's going through my head, sorry for just wanting to help and be there for you! Yeah, maybe I don't get it but sometimes it helps to talk about it!" I snapped back.

Mekhi rolled his eyes. "Whatever" he said calmly.

That word was a trigger for most people and it certainly was a trigger for me. "Yeah yeah whatever right, I'm just an emotional woman who whines about everything and I haven't experienced loss or anything bad in my life, yeah whatever I'm just a drama queen for caring about someone who means a lot to me!" I snapped, climbing out of bed.

I grabbed my fluffy robe and pulled it on, tying it up quickly and avoided Mekhi's eyes. Once finished, I stormed out of the bedroom.

"I really don't want to argue right now, get dressed we have to be on our way to the airport" Mekhi said, following me out of the room.

"No, you can go to Italy, I'm staying right here, actually I'm going to go home and return to my normal life and pretend you don't exist" I said firmly, whirling around.

Mekhi's eyes flashed. "We're not going through this again" he said in a dangerously low tone.

"No, we are not, you're going to leave and I'll bury you in the past!" I exclaimed, my arms gesturing wide.

Mekhi simply wasn't having it. He rested one knee on the arm of the couch as he glared at me, arms crossed. "And if you father comes to get you, who's going to protect you!" He exclaimed.

I scoffed. "I think you've forgotten that he's after you, not me!" I exclaimed again.

Having had enough of this conversation, I went to storm past him but he grabbed me by the shoulders and pulled me around. In a spin, he trapped me to the edge of the couch, almost bending me backwards while he glared at me.

"Why are you so god damn stubborn!" He exclaimed, baring his fangs at me.

"I could ask you the same thing," I replied, breathless.

"What part of me trying to protect you, do you not understand because I'm having a hard time trying to figure you out!" He exclaimed again.

"It's not the protection I have a problem with Mekhi, it's the fact that you don't talk to me about what you're feeling or thinking! You claim to love me but where's the proof! Where's the communication!" I exclaimed back.

"You want proof!"

"Yes!"

"Where's Richard! Where's my son! He's gone! Gone so you could be here right now, with me!" Mekhi roared.

I flinched, making him let me go. "Why don't we really talk about what this is!" Mekhi said firmly, changing the subject.

Not able to answer, I stared at my shaking hands. "Why don't you just fucking admit it Celene, instead of trying to push me away!"

I raised my eyes. Mekhi ran a hand through his already tousled hair. "Just admit it!" He said, pointing a finger at me.

"No" I replied.

He threw his hands up in defeat and stalked towards the bar. "It's seven in the morning Mekhi!" I exclaimed as he poured a glass.

"I've been alive for a very long time Celene, time is of no value to me" he bit back, giving me a glare as he threw the alcohol back in one gulp.

He poured another glass. Placing the bottle back on the bench, he turned his head to look at me. "Just say it, I want to hear you fucking say it!" He  said.

"No!" I exclaimed back.

"Why! What are you so afraid of?" He asked, leaving his glass on the marble bench.

"Truth, Mekhi! I'm afraid if I say it out loud than it becomes true and there's not going back from that" I replied turnung my back on him.

I started for the bedroom again but Mekhi used his vampire speed to block my path. "This conversation isn't over Celene" he said firmly.

"For me it is!" I replied back, standing my ground. 

"Say it out loud, right now" he said, closing his eyes.

I refused. "Say it!"

I turned my head away, wiping away that tears that gathered. Instead, I pushed past him and entered the bedroom. Mekhi followed me. "So this is it? You're giving up?" He asked, a lot calmer.

I whirled around, tears falling down my cheeks.

"What do you want from me Mekhi" I pleaded out, crying.

"I want to hear you say it"

I bit back a sob. "I'm scared, okay? Happy? I'm scared of this, of you and what everyone wants from me! I'm scared of going to Italy, and I'm scared that I'm not worth the pain!" I exclaimed, breathing heavily.

Stepping forward, he cupped my cheeks. Cradling my face in his palms, his silver eyes pierced mine.

"Why can't you just say it," he said softly.

My lips trembled. "Because I don't know if this is real," I replied.

"Celene, I've told you time and time again, I'm in love with you, you just have to accept it" Mekhi said calmly.

I bit my top lip. "Why are you trying to push me away?" Mekhi asked calmly.

I squeezed my eyes shut. "Because I'm scared," I replied.

"Scared of what?" He asked.

I opened my eyes and stared into his.

"I'm scared of how fast I'm falling for you,"

A/N

A pretty big statement from Celene there.
I wonder how this is going to play out.

I hope Celene can work past this wall of being afraid and let herself feel love and to be loved by Mekhi.

I mean, Italy is quite the romantic place I think. So maybe things will change for them there.

But I left you on a cliffhanger cause I'm evil.
I've had a lot come to me and ask for Richard back.

I'm tempted. So you'll never know. I did want to say goodbye to him but I've thought of too many good one liners.. so I don't know yet.

What did you think of this chapter?

Don't forget to vote and comment!
Lots of love, tavana xoxoxo and as always, stay awesome bros!