■ NINE ■

■ NINE ■

Plates clattered to the ground, smashing upon the stone floor. "No!" The maid yelled,her face draining white as she stared at the porcelain.

Turning my head, I rushed to her side immediately. "Hey! It's okay! I'll help you clean it up!" I had just finished saying before the door banged open.

I was getting on my knees to pick up the biggest pieces of porcelain. "Get up!" A voice growled.

Looking up, I saw the dungeon master standing before me furious. He glared at the broken plates as I slowly stood back up. "You're useless!" The dungeon master exclaimed at me.

The crying maid stepped forward but I grabbed her wrist. "I'm sorry, I will clean it up right away" I replied, glancing at the maid.

My cheek stung and my head jolted to the side as the dungeon master cracked the back of his hand across my face. "Ivor! That's enough! Touch my girls again and I swear I will go to the King!" Natalie suddenly exploded as she stood in the doorway, hands of hips.

I grabbed the throbbing area and looked down, not giving him the satisfaction to see my cheek red or my eyes well up. "The King has no time for useless maids! Get your girls under control and clean this up!" He snapped, a slight Irish accent coming out with his fury.

He stormed away and the crying maid hugged me. "You didn't have to do that, thank you!" She exclaimed as she sobbed into my shoulder.

"It's okay" I consoled her, patting her back.

She pulled away and fell to her hands and knees,  starting the clean up the broken plates. "Celene, the King's library needs dusting, please see to it" Natalie said gently. 

I nodded as she handed me the feather duster. Taking the golden keys out of my pocket, I left Natalie and the upset maid to their duties as I began mine. I walked down the hallway, rubbing the red mark that no doubt had appeared on my cheek. Flexing my jaw, I slid the key into the lock  but the door was already open.

I hadn't seen the King in three days, since our last encounter. Truthfully, I didn't know what to say to him even if he wanted to talk, even if he did strike me as the type who didn't want to do idle chit chat.

I was ending my second week here at the Castle and most of the maids had warmed up to me. They told me stories from when they were taken. Apparently, there had been hundreds more maids but they call got sold off as bounty or a calling for peace. The more I didn't see the King, the more I grew interested in him.

From what I've heard, he was one of the very first few original Vampires and his sire died by his hand. No one had seen his face and I couldn't bare to tell them that I had. It would cause more trouble than solve more mysteries.
The most interesting fact to me and something I hated knowing that it interested me was that he'd always ruled alone.

Other Vampires with their own royalty, had Queens or in fact Kings in the case of the Irish but the King we had, was rather a loner.

My hand stilled on the doorknob, dreading if he was inside, yet excited at the prospect of seeing him again. I cursed my churning stomach and stupid thoughts. I was his captive and slave, I should not be thinking about what he hides under that hooded clothes of his.

I shook my head and pushed open the door, duster ready and armed. "Anyone in here?" I called out, not wanting any jump scares.

No answer. Sighing, I slipped into the room and found the nearest dusty shelf. I immediately began dusting, reaching up to get the harder to get places.

"Who marked you?" His voice asked, scaring me.

I swore and lurched back on my foot. I knew the ground was coming but I didn't land on the hard wood. I opened my eyes which had automatically closed and breathed out as the King's hand encircled me. "Thank you, my Lord" I said carefully.