■ SIXTEEN ■

■ SIXTEEN ■

"Mum!" I screamed as the front door slammed.

I dropped my school bag and collapsed onto my knees, turning my mother's unconscious body over. Her breathing was shallow and harsh. "No no no no" I chanted, as I opened her mouth and stuck my fingers down her throat.

She started to gag and jolt, so I turned her over on her side and let her vomit all the shit she'd taken onto the floor. I got up quickly and grabbed her car keys. With a big hefty breath, I lifted my mother and locked my arms around her waist to keep her upright. "Stay with me, mum!" I exclaimed.

I struggled to get the front door open and then the car door. I hoisted her into the passenger seat as she seemed to pass out again as I did up her seatbelt. Slamming the door, I ran to the other side of the car and started the car.

I sped to the nearest hospital and ran indoors. "Help!" I yelled.

Nurses looked at me and started for me as I pointed to the car. "What's wrong darling?" A nurse asked hurriedly.

"It's my mother, she's overdosed!" I exclaimed.

I started back for the car and a band of nurses hurried after me, calling out to one another. "Do you know what she took?" A nurse asked who wasn't busying strapping my mother down.

I shook my head. "I came home and found her" I breathed out, the shock finally setting in.

"It's okay darling, she'll be okay" the nurse before following the other nurses.

I watched them take my mother away. The car keys in my hand jangled, and I looked down. This could be it, this could be the chance to run away and never have to deal with this again.

I started for the driver door without a second thought.

I opened my eyes and glanced across the room to see Mekhi talking animatedly with another man.

Sighing, I pinched the bridge of my nose, closing my eyes as I tried to forget the memory. "My Queen" a voice said.

Opening them, the King stood in front of me, worry reflected in his eyes. "Sorry, did I miss something?" I asked, sitting up.

The King turned his head to glance at the man standing behind him. "Sean, can you give us a moment" the King said, glancing over his shoulder.

"Of course, your majesty" he said, bowing before walking away.

I shook my head. "I'm sorry, I'm not all there today" I said, leaning forward on my elbows.

"I couldn't help but see what you were thinking about, is everything okay?" Mekhi asked, folding his arms.

"Yeah, I just guess after everything I've been through, I just guess I wonder what happened to her" I replied, leaning back.

"Celene, you need to stop punishing yourself, I was feeling exactly what you are feeling right now when I first turned and left my w-" he trailed off.

I raised an eyebrow. "Point is, I know what you're feeling, if you want to see her, see how she's doing, than all you need to do is ask" he finished.

My hand which had been rubbing my temples, dropped onto the hands of the throne. "You'd do that?" I asked, surprised.

"You've decided to trust me and decided to be my Queen after everything I've done to you, I would do anything to rectify that," he replied, seriously.

It was right then that I knew I had made the right decision. It might take us a while to fully ve in sync, and it might take us a while to fully trust each other but that sentence told me he was willing to try.  I smiled slightly.  "I love it when you say that" I said quietly.