■ TWENTY-NINE ■

■ TWENTY-NINE ■

Mekhi pushed all the wolves off him. "Celene," Richard said, shocked.

I turned my head to look at him. "What?" I asked, worried.

Raising his gun, he pointed it at me. "What are you doing!" I exclaimed.

"Stay away or I'll shoot!" Richard snapped.

I opened my mouth to yell at him but a snarl interrupted me and I turned my head to look behind me.

A huge black wolf snapped his salivating snout, as he carefully picked his way through the underbrush. His left eye was gashed and red, bleeding from the corner. This was my father.

Behind him, a chocolate coloured wolf flanked him, his eyes seeming to survey the situation. I felt someone grab me and I squealed as Mekhi flopped me onto the ground and covered me with his own body.

A shot rang out and I squeezed my eyes shut, my breathing heavy. Richard reloaded the gun. "That was a warning shot, come any closer dog and I swear to god I will shoot you!" Richard snapped.

With a short howl from the black wolf, wolves started to emerge from the trees and even the wolves that had already been fighting got up and joined their Alpha. "Uh fuck," Richard said lowly.

"Houston, we have a problem" he said to Mekhi who lifted his head to study the number of wolves.

"Richard, I want you to get Celene out of here" Mekhi said slowly.

"No, you get Celene out of here, she's the love of your life not mine, I mean nothing, get her out and I'll defend you," Richard snapped.

Their eyes met. "I won't let you do this," Mekhi said carefully.

"Do what?" I asked confused.

"You don't have a choice, this is my decision," Richard replied calmly.

"Richard.." Mekhi trailed off.

"I know, we both know you're not good at goodbyes" he replied.

My eyes widened. "What's happening! Why are you saying goodbye!" I exclaimed.

Mekhi gripped me tightly. "I'm going to run really fast, I need you to close your eyes and focus on your breathing" Mekhi said quietly to me.

"Where's Richard going?" I asked, wounding my arms around him tightly.

"Richard is staying behind" Mekhi replied before looking back up to Richard.

"What no!" I exclaimed.

Richard nodded his head. "Close your eyes" Mekhi ordered.

Before I even had the chance to reply I felt movement and I squeezed my eyes shut. The air rushed past me like a high pitched whistle, making my ear buzz.

I held on tightly before I felt Mekhi stop. "Get in the car" he exclaimed quickly, suddenly appearing at the drivers door.

I didn't hesitate, opening the passenger door and climbing in. I slammed the door shut and Mekhi pressed his foot down before I even buckled up.

"Did we just leave Richard to die!" I exclaimed, turning to look at Mekhi shocked.

"He knew the risks and he took them, to protect you," Mekhi replied calmly.

"Mekhi! We have to turn around and go get him!" I exclaimed again.

"And risk losing you? And if he did die, than it would've all been for nothing!" Mekhi exclaimed back.

I stared at him open mouthed. "He's your son!" I cried out, tears prickling my eyes.

"You are first and foremost my priority, he told me to protect you Celene, vampires die every day!" Mekhi replied, switching to a faster gear.

"Yeah vampires I don't know! But Richard, I do know!" I said before taking a deep breath.

Mekhi looked at me before switching gears again. Trees zoomed by faster than anything I had ever seen. I was going to be sick.

"I did what I had to do to protect you, Richard understood that and he made a choice" Mekhi replied.

I leaned forward, putting my head in my hands. "Pull over" I said calmly.

"There's a wolf pack afte-" Mekhi was saying before I cut him off.

"Pull the frick over Mekhi!" I yelled.

He slowed the car down and stopped it on the side of the road. I unbuckled my seatbelt and opened the door. I scrambled out of the car and made it to the back before I threw up whatever contents I had in my stomach.

I crouched on the ground, dry heaving as I heard a thump. Mekhi climbed out of the car. "Celene, I'm sorry" he said quickly.

I shook my head and wiped my mouth with a tissue he handed me.

Standing up, I leaned against the car. "It's fine, you were right, Richard knew the risks" I replied, sighing.

Mekhi handed me a chewing gum packet and I took a swig of water from the bottle he handed me before spitting it out. Rinsing my mouth. U wrapping all the gum, I threw them into my mouth for the minty fresh smell and taste.

"Better?" Mekhi asked lightly.

He was treading carefully around me now. "Better" I replied.

"Come on, we don't have a lot of time, we have to go" Mekhi said gently.

I nodded and walked back to the passenger seat, sitting down and buckling up. I closed the door just as Mekhi started the BMW again.

We sped off and for the remaining of the car trip, we were silent. I was just remembering Richard in my own way. For the very short time I knew him, he'd done everything he could to make me feel at ease and had me laughing all the time.

He deserved to be remembered. A man who lived many years, fought many wars and gave himself up for my safety. Someone, he hardly knew.

A someone that only meant something because of Mekhi.

Everything within me was sore and a certain tiredness washed over me. My eyes slowly drooped as I watched the trees speed past. It was silent in the car and it made me all the more sleepy.

Mekhi must have read my thoughts because he looked at me. "Sleep Celene, I'll wake you up when we get there," he said softly.

There?
Where was there?
Why didn't Mekhi tell me we were going somewhere?

I mean, is anywhere sa-

I fell asleep.

A/N

Another chapter!
Yayyy!

A moment of silence for our fallen hero, Richard O'Reilly.

What did you think of the chapter?
Let me know in the comments or better yet!

Join my discord group!

https://discord.gg/8W5McA7

I hope to see you there!

Lots of love, tavana xoxox and as always, stay awesome bros!

Also don't forget to vote and comment! Xx