The Fountain of Wishes

"Dance with me."

"Would you dance if I asked you to dance?
Or would you run and never look back?
Would you cry if you saw me crying?
And would you save my soul tonight?
Would you tremble if I touched your lips?
Or would you laugh? Oh, please tell me this
Now would you die for the one you love?
Oh hold me in your arms tonight
I can be your hero baby
I can kiss away the pain
I will stand by you forever
You can take my breath away..."

The music spun around us, taking us into a world entirely our own. It was as if time has paused and everyone has disappeared.

I couldn't count how many times I had squished his foot under my own, but he has always kept this bright smile on his face, and this shine in his brown eyes. His eyes were a mystery of their own. As we continue dancing, I realized our moves didn't matter here. All that mattered was each other. This was perfect, but weird at the same time. Being comfortable with someone I don't even recognize.

As I was about to ask him for his name, the lights went off.

A few minutes later, the light came back, but he was nowhere to be seen.

He disappeared.

As if he was never even there.

As if this was all my imagination.

I stand still in my place, waiting for the mysterious boy to take me back to the other world.

"Pearl. Hello? Is anyone there?" Lara says waving her hand in front of my eyes.

"Uh yeah. Yeah. I guess."

We go back to our seats, only to find my eyes hovering over the entire court to find the pair of brown eyes I happened to suddenly love.

-
-
-

If I told you I was able to forget about the dance, I would be lying to you.

And if I told you I wasn't thinking of his eyes 24/7, I would go to a prison for lies.

I kept remembering how his deep hazel eyes bore into mine, radiating warmth and comfort.

The way they glistened in the dark, and held secrets meant to never be revealed.

They were every shade of brown you could ever imagine.

And I was here, wondering if life would ever give me a chance to see them again.

The chances of me finding out who he was were almost nil.

More than 400 people attended the ball, half of them were people I have never seen nor talked to in my whole life. So how was I supposed to figure it out?

I groan as I hit my head on the pillow and fall into deep sleep.

-
-
-

I wake up at 8 am, on a SATURDAY! which is almost impossible for it to happen.

I roll and roll on bed trying to get back into my slumber, but it was mission impossible.

I get up, wear my favorite black hoodie and sweatpants, put my headphones on, and get out for a walk, not missing the shocked look on my parent's faces as I greet them.

I keep walking till I reach a place I've become attached to over the past year.

Flashback

Wiping my tears, I was walking in this beautiful garden that became my escape from the harsh reality. The reality that shows you that love can't and won't ever last. The reality that the person you love, will cause you nothing but harm in the end. The reality that love is nothing but a lie. A beautiful, aching lie.

As I was walking, I stared at the fountain ahead of me. "The Fountain of Wishes" as it is so called. People come here all the time, to make sure that their so called "wishes" come true. You grip the coin in your hand, connecting it with you through what anthropologists call "contagious magic."
As we've kept this coin in our pocket for a long time, it has become part of our life, an extension of ourselves. And then we throw it in the water, detaching all bonds and watching it sink into the bottom, with all our dreams and wishes.

I pull a coin out of my pocket and let my heart take over me.

"I wish love could ever last, and I wish I could get to experience what it would be like."

Click the star below and give me your feedback for the next update🥰

~@bloomingstar19