Chapter 46 | Inches Away

Start from the beginning

"Never insult the person who handles your food - they have your life in their hands!" she exclaimed dramatically, which attracted the attention of Charis' red headed friend at the nearby table, who looked over curiously at Euphemia.

"Hey, Euphemia!" Faye called out in greeting, waving as she stopped talking to David Anderson. Mia waved back a little nervously, she would've preferred it if not many people knew about her date with Charlus because she valued her life, hence why she was glad that he picked a secluded cafe for them to go to, as if he had read her mind.

But Faye didn't seem too bothered and soon went back to eating her salad whilst telling David something extremely enthusiastically, waving her fork about.

"Who was that?" Charlus whispered to her as their drinks arrived, causing Euphemia to nod gratefully at the cafe owner.

"That's Faye, Charis' friend," she informed him but her cousin's name meant nothing to Charlus, only puzzling him further and leading for him to question exactly who Charis was.

"She's my cousin," Mia told him and a strange expression crossed Charlus' face as if he had eaten something funny but Euphemia simply crossed her arms and glared at him, shaking her head and explaining quietly that Charis was nothing like the rest of her Black cousins.

"One Shepherd's Pie and one club sandwich? And a side of chips for this lovely couple to share?" the woman appeared again, levitating the plates with her wand before plonking them down with a simple flick of her wand.

"Lovely couple?" Mia snorted in laughter but she stopped as soon as she saw the hurt expression on Charlus' face as he realised that she might not actually be taking the date seriously.

Can you blame her? You've always been such a player a voice said in his head but Charlus tried to ignore it as he dug into his pie.

"You don't think this is a joke, do you? Because it's not," Charlus asked her before adding the last bit rather hastily, watching as Euphemia bit her lip in thought.

"Look, I'm not saying anything against you but you do have a playboy reputation so....let's just say that I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be a dare or something," Mia told him honestly before taking a bite out of her sandwich to try and avoid the awkward tension that was now building between them.

However, before Charlus could open his mouth to say anything about his true intentions and about how much he actually did like Euphemia, there was a huge, terrific bang and the two of them jumped out of their seats in shock, looking around for the source of the noise.

It was Faye's chair. It had fallen back with a thump as she stood up, glaring daggers at David Anderson seated across from her. "What on earth do you mean?" she demanded, her red hair practically sizzling from her fury and Mia couldn't help but mutter a joke about how her hair could set on fire from anger, which got a quiet chuckle from Charlus in response.

David muttered something to her, obviously trying to get her to sit down but Faye shook her long, red ponytail as she crossed her arms angrily.

"How can you like both genders? Have you been playing me this entire time? You can't just like both girls and boys! It's one or the other, surely?" Faye exclaimed rather tearfully, looking as if she didn't actually believe that David was telling her that he liked both girls and boys, even though he wasn't sure whether that was an actual thing.

"I think you'll find I can like whoever I want," David responded rather coldly, also standing up and taking out a handful of galleons, throwing them onto the table as he swung his scarf around his neck.