Chapter 46 | Inches Away

Start from the beginning

There were a few tables outside of the cafe, paired with green parlour umbrellas that blew in the February wind, the tables beneath them showing hints of the rainy weather that had graced Hogsmeade before that day.

However, it seemed rather cheery and plants bloomed from huge plant pots at either side of the door, making Euphemia feel extremely welcome as Charlus opened the door for her, the tinkle of the bell above the door sounding as they walked in, still hand in hand.

Inside, there was several tables that were well polished though only a few were occupied - the cafe in general seemed rather empty but also peaceful.

Mia also noted that it was good that not many people were there because she didn't really want to be seen with a blood traitor like Charlus as that would just make her family hate her even more.

A counter was on one side of the room and the clear glass showed an array of cakes and afternoon tea treats as well as a propped up menu that was displaying all the meals that were available to customers.

Jazz music was playing and Euphemia actually started humming to the tune, swaying a little which made Charlus smile to himself as he squeezed her hand.

They went and found a table as there only seemed to be one person serving people and she was busy taking the order of another couple next to them (a feisty looking red headed girl that Mia swore she had seen hanging around with Charis and a rather sheepish looking mousy brown haired guy).

"What do you think?" Charlus asked her quietly after watching her take in the appearance of the place for a while, nervous to see her reaction. "I like it, it's very peaceful," she told him with an assuring smile and Charlus relaxed a little, not knowing that Euphemia was actually wondering how many girls he had taken to this cafe because surely she couldn't be the only one.

Mia didn't actually ask him though because she didn't want to ruin the comfortable atmosphere that they had found themselves in or make the date awkward.

The table that they had chosen actually had a few hearts scattered across the red checked tablecloth, making the aura of the cafe seem a little more romantic, especially as Euphemia soon came to realise that there were pink banners draped all around the outskirts of the cafe with the golden printing of Happy Valentine's Day! shining against the deep pink background.

It was nice and simple and Mia liked it - it felt less awkward than Madam Puddifoots and here, she also felt like she wasn't required to make out with anyone just because everyone else was doing it.

"May I take your orders?" a cheerful voice came from behind them, interrupting Euphemia's thoughts and she jumped a little before realising it was simply the cafe owner, making Charlus chuckle before he swiftly ordered a shepherds pie with a side of chips for them to share (having checked previously with Mia on whether she wanted to share the potato chips with him).

Euphemia then smiled and ordered a club sandwich because she loved chicken and bacon and they both asked for lemonade, sharing a smile when they realised that the other also had a liking for the drink.

"We have a 20% discount as well for young couples - seeing as it is Valentine's Day," the woman told them with a beam and Mia took it as an opportunity to compliment her on the decorations around the cafe which made her beam even wider, if that was humanly possible.

"Suck up," Charlus muttered as soon as the cafe owner had gone and Euphemia punched him on the arm playfully, laughing. "It's called being nice," she told him with an eye roll and he raised his eyebrows back at her.

"She was already giving us a discount, you didn't have to be all polite, it's scary. I prefer it when you're being yourself - all sarcastic and funny," Charlus chuckled and Mia mock glared at him, tossing her hair back in a way that made Charlus lose his breath for a second before he regained his composure.