Chapter 11

The minute I got home, I took a shower. I let the hot water run over my shoulders, tilting my head back. Wasn’t it supposed to be that all your best thoughts were in the shower? So I thought. Or, I tried to think.

I thought about Harry a lot. Did he really think I was acting like a whore or did he just not want me to be seen with them?  I knew now that they were the biggest boy band, maybe he didn’t want to be seen with such a…normal girl, much less everyone thinking it was the boys’ new mistress.

As I turned off the water, I heard a thumping, and I froze while reaching for my towel.

“Bree?” I heard a faint voice asking. I realized who it was. Ignoring him, I wrapped my towel around me, brushing the tangles out of my hair, trying to block out the banging on the door.

I changed into a pair of sweatpants and an old Morrissey t-shirt, walking to the kitchen and opening a Coke.

Still, the knocking was consistent. I was getting fed up with it and stood right in front of it, debating whether I should open it or not.

“Please answer,” he moaned, and, annoyed, I finally did.

“What?” I scowled as I opened the door, and Harry toppled in.

“You- you answered,” he finally got out, blushing, brushing his clothes off as he stood up.

I had one hand on my hip and the other on the door.

“Obviously,” I replied, narrowing my eyes. “What do you want?”

He hesitated for a moment and looked at me with those big green eyes and I tried not to melt. I was pissed at him.

“Bree,” he whispered, and I tried not to portray any emotion.

It was silent for a moment. “Well, nice talking to y-“  I started, nudging him out.

“Wait,” he said, stepping in. He put a hand on my wrist and I stiffened.

“I’m sorry,” he said, “I didn’t mean what I said before. I was just surprised, okay? I didn’t know you liked Zayn…like that. But it’s cool; he’s cool. I just got…protective, I guess. We all think of you know as a…little sister, I suppose. I really didn’t mean it; I was just being a dick. I know you probably won’t forgive me, but you have to know I feel awful. I didn’t think, and I- I just…I’m sorry,” he rushed out.

“Harry, I don’t like Zayn, I promise, okay? I’d tell you.” His grip on my hand loosened a little and he took a small step towards me.

“That article, it was just dumb.” I said, looking him in the eyes. He nodded, and I felt his arms go around me, and after a few seconds I relaxed.

From his apologies and his face, I knew he did feel bad about yelling at me and calling me a whore. He pulled back a little and my breathing stopped. His eyes were inches away from mine and he was staring directly at me.

“Come back with me,” he pleaded, and I shook my head.

“Harry, I don’t-“

“Please,” he begged, “I promise nothing else will happen. I’ll be good. Unless, you know…”he winked at me and I slapped his chest.

“Disgusting,” I teased, walking into the kitchen.

“I’m serious,” he said, following my footsteps, “And Louis has your surprise tonight, remember?”

I whipped around. “Tonight?” I echoed.

He looked at me like I was dumb, “Uh huh…remember, he won’t tell you…”