Chapter Six

Nyssa

Nervous, Nyssa glanced at herself in the foyer mirror. She'd purchased a floor-length black gown. The style sported a mid-thigh high slit, plaited spaghetti straps, and a soft cleavage showed off a hint of her breasts. Uncertainty led her to wear her hair up in a French twist, and she finished her look with light make-up. Wholly satisfied, she proceeded down the foyer as Shana came forward. Instant color flooded Nyssa. For a moment she hoped Shana wouldn't read the telltale signs of her embarrassment. She'd slept with the woman's fiancé.

"Hi, Nyssa. I'm so glad you didn't change your mind."

"Did I have a choice?" Nyssa laughed more out of nervousness.

"Sorry. I'm a bit stubborn at times." Shana smiled. "Forgive me. I thought of you sitting alone in your hotel room when you could be joining us for a perfectly good dinner. C'mon, let me show you around while we wait for the rest." She took Nyssa's hand and walked her through the beautiful house. They stopped in front of the large paintings adorning the family room. "This is Mrs. Bennett's father."

Nyssa eyed the tall, distinguished older man with sleek black hair and a curled mustache. His intelligent blue eyes begged a second glance. "Wow, the man is almost princely."

"He was. Nithen Jadeja. Second son of a Rajah in India and a rebel. He ditched his family and headed out into the world to make a name for himself. Before he died about a year ago, he left his multi-billion empire to Tyler."

Nyssa's lips curved in a soft smile. "So, Tyler's of Royal Indian bloodline?" It explained his unusual complexion and the air of regal confidence he possessed.

"Yep. Mrs. Bennett is a true princess if you ask me. She carries herself with such authority. Although, it does scare me at times," Shana leaned in to whisper. They moved to the next painting.

"And this is Damian Bennett. Tyler's dad. He passed on about ten years back in a boating incident."

Nyssa admired the painting. Except for the gray eyes, it was like looking at an older version of Tyler. "A very handsome man." She could see where Tyler got his good looks.

"I agree," Shana sighed. "According to Mrs. Bennett, the man was a real babe magnet. The day he met her at a business function, he only had eyes for her since then and pursued her like a heated stallion after an uninterested mare." She chuckled. "Destiny brought the two together, though. They became trapped at an abandoned ski lodge where Mr. Bennett had an accident. Stranded, Mrs. Bennett took care of him for ten days. Somewhere between day one and day ten, and she fell in love."

"That's so romantic." Nyssa eyed the painting and sighed. She hoped for the same head-in-the-cloud moment when she met her Mr. Right. "I belong to you," she read the inscription at the bottom of the painting.

"Mr. Bennett told his wife, the day he first laid eyes on her was the day he lost his heart forever. And while she'd fought the attraction, he maintained his heart belonged to her, and no one else could claim it. If she turned him down, he would've remained a lonely man for the rest of his life. Dreamy, right?" Shana laughed. "He even had those words inscribed on her wedding band."

"Wow." Nyssa wondered if Tyler was as romantic as his father. She refrained from asking his fiancée anything personal. The less Nyssa knew, the better. She followed Shana down the three short stairs into the family room. They stopped in front of a tall, beautiful woman. Without asking, Nyssa recognized Tyler's mother. Mother and son shared the same sparkling blue eyes and a dimpled smile. Shana was right. The beautiful woman carried herself with an air of majestic authority befitting a princess.

Shana half turned. "I'd like you to meet Mrs. Bennett. Reena, this is our wedding planner, Nyssa Das."

"Hello, Nyssa, nice to meet you. Such a pretty little thing you are." Mrs. Bennett's words followed with a gentle smile.