Chapter 1 (six months ago)

Nyssa Das

Shit! Shit! Shit! I'm so screwed.

"What do I do, Serena, I'm desperate. I need money." Nyssa Das stared at her friend wide-eyed as anxiety nipped away at her insides. She hovered on the edge of insanity and ready to plunge at a moment's notice. Her mobile ding-donged. Another reminder arrived in her ever-growing Gmail account.

Dear Ms. Das. It would read if she dared open the email. Please find attached the updated statement of account for the patient, Mrs. M. Das. Kindly be advised that the account must be settled in full before further treatment can commence. Your urgent attention is appreciated.

Except, her urgent attention was now fixed solidly on how she was going to get the money to settle her mother's skyrocketing hospital bill.

Another ding-dong. Serena eyed the phone with as much trepidation as Nyssa did. That would be her landlord gently reminding her of the extension he'd given her on the three month's rent she still owed him. To her eternal gratitude, her landlord was a gentle soul, but even kind souls had to make a living.

"Listen, sweetie," Serena said. "Firstly, I hate your stupid ass ring tone. Please change it. And secondly, you don't have the luxury of time right now to find the money you need—your mom's stable. Thank, God, but physiotherapy isn't cheap. I know you're gonna hate it, but if I gave you just one of my nights at the Agency, you'd be able to make more than what you need."

"No offense, Serena, I don't want to be a hooker." She waved her hand over denim-clad legs and an oversized shirt. "Besides, I'm not exactly hooker material."

"Takes a lot to offend me, girl." Serena sighed. "I'm not a hooker, though. I work for a high-end professional escort agency. We play hostesses to rich men." She slapped Nyssa's thigh. "And who says you're not hooker material. Damn, girl, these long legs right here would make any man wonder just how tightly around the waist you'd hold him while he fucks you silly."

Nyssa dropped to the sofa in a fit of giggles. "Yeah, right. That isn't happening any time soon." The only shagging she was getting belonged to her fingers.

Serena flopped down beside her. "Seriously though, you could get five thousand on a good day."

"Five thousand?" Nyssa's jaw dropped, her eyes wide in shock.

"How the hell do you think I pay for my college tuition? No sugar daddy, yet." Her friend grinned.

Five thousand would fix all of Nyssa's problems—at what cost, though? She nibbled her lower lip. "What about sex?"

"A no-no, theoretically. But, if you're comfortable and it comes up—"

Nyssa burst out laughing. Serena frowned before her eyes rounded and she broke into a fit of giggles. "Excuse the pun, Ness. If it comes up, you can ride it, okay?"

Nyssa chuckled. Boy, it felt good to laugh. The last few months had churned into a waterfall and now cascaded into one hectic rapid—something she'd have to navigate wisely to survive her chaotic life.

"So, if it comes up and I'm not comfortable?"

"There's an unspoken agreement between the Agency and clients. Any pressure from the client for sex and they face blacklisting with every gentleman's club in the country. These men are influential, extremely wealthy. Because they have a lot to lose, clients keep their noses clean and toe the line. The Agency is a legitimate business, Ness, and keeps things tight. No loopholes."

"So, if I say no sex, that it's just a...date?"

"Yep." Serena rolled her eyes. "Considering you haven't been on a date since 1945, you need it."