Chapter 31

28.2.16 (29)

-----------

Jorge finally fixed the berg. He was confident his huge plan was working and could take them to Safe Haven. They were ready to leave Denver this morning. Thomas, Minho, Hans, and a few member of the Right Arm, and Newt were ones who stayed. They would go to the laboratory in order to help Hans made the serum for FlareM00. Once they cured Minho, they would get back to Safe Haven by The Right Arm's berg.

The breakfast should be fun and warm. Vince and his group served them some canned foods. They liked the foods which was very delicious. Not for Frypan though. He was too arrogant to praise how good the food tasted. All he said was he could make some more delicious foods with some new kitchen stuff they got from the dead city. No one argued him, except Minho—he did it just to make frypan stop talking. He knew—every glader knew—Frypan's capability in cooking.

Everything changed too fast. The sound of the helicopter's screw annoyed them. However they ignored the sound until the sound grew louder and louder, realizing them it didn't sound like the helicopter's screw. It absolutely came from something bigger, such as ... a light plane. The noisy sound easily worried them. Soon, fear spread through the room, competing with the air. No wonder when they breathed, fear streamed down their throat.

"I'll go checking it," Minho and Newt stated at the exact moment. They both glanced at each other before they got up.

"Thomas," a voice came from nowhere stole not just Thomas's attention, but theirs.

"I think, I need to go with you," Thomas got on his feet, following Minho and Newt.

They peeped through the window at the main room. A light plane landed a dozen feet from the berg. A bunch of people dressed in black stood in front of the berg, carrying a gun which was similar to a launcher. But, Thomas got a feeling the gun would be worse than it.

It wasn't the only thing that surprised them. There were hundreds people gathered around. Thomas thought they seemingly weren't human at all. With some bruises and scratches covered their bodies, he would say they were infected people at the transition among human and crank. Besides, the way they stare showed no side of humanity, wild and full of anger.

"Great. We're shuckin' surrounded," Minho tried to figure the situation out.

"Thomas, if you think you could run away from us, forget it!" the same voice. Now Thomas could see someone who spoke. He was one of the people dressed in black. "You'd rather start thinking."

"What do we do?" Newt asked with his eyes still lingered over hundreds people out there. "We didn't bloody make plan B."

"Yes, we made it," Minho replied with a sentence that brought Thomas's and Newt's eyes to him.

"No!" Thomas and Newt denied. They knew what Minho thought of. At least, they had a theory Minho tried to say he would order Jorge to fly the berg and no one stayed.

"Have a better idea?" Minho challenged.

"We'd rather keep listening!" Thomas suggest. He obviously didn't have anything to say in his mind.

"You're not too stupid to guess the klunk he will talk about," Minho told sarcastically.

"I'm with Tommy," Newt replied. "We need to bloody know what they want."

"It's stupid!" Minho muttered still with his sarcastic tone. However, he did what the two had aggreed.

"We need you, Thomas," the same voice told. The man's eyes lingered toward the berg as if he could see Thomas was staring at him. "The entire world need you. And you knew that."