Chapter 30

12.2.19

-----------

2.53

Thomas stared at the floor. His mind flied to the moment Janson announced Newt wasn’t immune. Once again, he felt his chest got stabbed. He choked in his breathing, making him gasp. The fact that Minho got infected by that mutated virus sickening him like hell.

“There must be some way,” Thomas muttered to himself. His eyes bored to Minho and Newt, wanting for agreement. Minho forced a smile while Newt chose to avoid his gaze.

“Some way. Somehow.” The blonde boy walked reluctantly, leaving the two in despair.

“Hans, how are they?” Minho shifted his sight. Obviously, he wanted to change the subject. “They can be cured, right?”

“The serum is working.” Hans got up on to his feet after he finished with his last syringe. “You know how the serum work. They will be fine in a few days.”

“Good that,” Minho replied. His voice unsteady, and he couldn’t hide his anxiety at all. “I will go checking the three slintheads.”

Thomas followed Minho with his eyes. Is this the answer of my feeling? Something bad happened to Minho? He was curious. But, he tired of thinking. At least, he prefer worked his head for Thinking of his friend, finding the way to save Minho.

“You alright, Thomas?” Brenda tapped him on his shoulder.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Thomas nodded. “It’s hard to believe though. We supposed to complete our group by coming here. But, now. Minho ...”

“Shhh,” Brenda put her index finger on Thomas’s lips, stopping him to release another word. “You said that. We’re gonna find a way. He will be okay.”

***

At the night, Minho gathered the rest people. There were about twenty kids sitting in front of him. They were the kids they’d saved from WICKED and Newt’s group. Harriet and Riley were there too. Thomas stood at the threshold, arms crossed, eyes glued to Minho.

“As you know, shanks,” He started the gathering without any official statement. Sure, no need to be formal. “Today’s been shucked. What happened this morning was out of my prediction. That’s the last shucked thing I thought would be happen. That’s why right now you’re all here. I need to speak to you before I go mad and lost my mind.”

For the clear reason, Thomas hated his last sentence. Ye, he still shut his mouth, listening to what would Minho say next.

“I told you the whole story. What WICKED did to us, all of their shuckin’ trials, the kids their killed for their stupid variable ... those are all the truth. It’s not a bed time story. I guarantee, no kids would like to hear how we lost half of our friends while we were fighting the Grivers.”

The air between them became strained. Eeriness somehow took a part of the room.

All the kids paid their attention to Minho. Thomas wonder whether the kids thought Minho was very good and skilful leader or they were too afraid of him to not pay attention. Combination of those was perfect. Minho sometimes looked scary even though with his small eyes and dimples, much less when he was angry. Besides, undoubtedly, he had a really good leadership.

“I don’t want the same thing happen for twice. If you intend to go back to WICKED for whatever reason, tell me now! We save who wanna be saved. If you choose to be here and influence the others to believe all the klunk WICKED told you—means, betraying us, or even harm the other, I’ll make sure you will get the worse.” His voice indicated that he wasn’t threatening them, but warning them.