8: hold

trigger warning: sexual harassment and PTSD/anxiety (I'm not really sure how to label it)

---

"Don't call me that," I say bluntly. I walk over toward some boulders that are near the edge of the street, away from the group waiting for the vans.

Jake follows me.

"Damn," he says under his breath. "Someone's cranky today."

I dig through my backpack for my headphones.

"I should warn the rest of the crew before you do something you'll regret," he continues.

I plug my headphones into the jack and put the right bud in my ear.

"Hey Joe," he shouts and the PA who monitors the parking lot looks over. "Tell everyone to watch out. It's Rivera's time of the month."

Joe turns away while I put my left earbud in and hit play on whatever song is currently up on my Spotify. I click the volume up as high as it'll go. I look down the street and after a minute, a street lamp nearby that I was shaded from pours light over my face as Jake walks away.

I let shuffle run and don't touch my phone again until I get up to climb into the second van.

I press myself against the wall and hold my backpack in my lap. I don't speak aside from thanking the driver when I'm the last person to climb out and shut the door.

I turn off my music and slip my phone into my pocket before I go clock in.

"I told everyone you're not feeling good today, so they'll keep their distance," Jake announces as he steps up beside me. "You don't have to thank me," he says coolly and slips his arm around my shoulders.

I shrug him off. "Please don't touch me." I pick up my pace and raise my chin so I'm looking directly ahead.

He stops and I hear him mutter, "Whatever, bitch," as I walk away.

I give myself until the moment I sign my name on the check-in paper to internally rage over my morning, but the second my pen touches the paper, I flip the switch inside of me to work-mode and mentally prepare myself for the rest of the day. Today is for good second first impressions and proving that I know what I'm doing and I'm good at it.

Angela's not in her office when I pass it, so I go on to the makeup trailer.

My first real makeup trailer.

Well, not mine, it's for all the makeup artists, so I get to use it and it's my first time in one so this is...wow this is exciting. Okay, I'm suddenly way more nervous than I was before. Okay, breathe Lyla. You got this. You're a strong independent woman. You're awesome. You're the best person for this job. You're gonna crush it. Don't literally crush it, but you know... be good and do good. You've got this. You're gonna be great.

Okay.

I take a deep breath.

Let's do this.

My fingers curl around the door latch. I pull it and the door clicks open and swings toward me. I walk up the step and into the trailer and close the door behind me.

"Lyla!"

I feel warmth start to rise in my cheeks so I swallow it back and mimic his call.

"Shawn!"

He hops up from his chair and comes over and hugs me.

I tense up, pulling my shoulders toward my ears as a chill runs up my spine. He lets go and I glance up at him as I lower my shoulders and notice the hint of concern in his eyes.