Wattpad Original

Original Edition: CHAPTER 53 - MYS

September 12 | After Midnight

Seeing the girl in the hospital bed made me feel like I was in the topsy-turviest manga I had ever read. The experience was surreal. I stared into the unmistakable face of Aurie Edison. She was alive. Her eyes were closed. Her head was thickly bandaged, and her wrist was in a splint. One leg was elevated in a cast. Where the other should have been, there was nothing but empty space below the knee. Yet, her chest was slowly rising and falling. Definitely alive.

"It's worse than I imagined," Haley murmured with a studied frown.

"She's been here all along?" I was almost afraid to ask. As if asking would break the spell, and I would wake up again in the woods with everyone I loved gone. I glanced at Zyr who stepped up beside me.

"Yes," he replied, "which is why Tegan thought Aurie couldn't be a ghost. Aurie never died. Wallace confirmed what I suspected: crossing over might've led to her waking from the coma."

"You knew how to help her all along?" I breathed, hurt.

"Oh, she's beautiful, Mys!" Kittie Cad interjected as she read the room. "It's a miracle she survived the accident."

Wallace spoke up behind us, "Yes, Aurie was hit with such force that she had bleeding on the brain, several broken bones, and she suffered a compression injury that led to losing her leg. That was my doing."

My best friend peered at the Guardian in askance, and he unfolded radiant wings. Kittie's jaw dropped. "Uh-uh, I don't think I'll ever get used to your world, Mitsuyo," she whispered.

I grinned, but the mood in the room was heavier than expected for a happy reunion. Zyr had his eyes glued to the clock. Haley leaned against the bay window with the cityscape a backdrop to her worried frown. I was assailed by their uncertainty, a flurry of agitated emotions keeping us all uneasy.

"Why didn't you tell us, Senpai?" I turned to the detective.

"At first, I thought you knew." He flashed an apologetic smile. "Aurie's accident was covered locally, and no one ever said she died. I know I didn't. By the time I realized you thought she was actually deceased, I didn't have an opening. You had such a hard time trusting people...I couldn't bear to push you away."

"But you said you would be more transparent after we..." I blushed and shut up.

"Nahin, I promised I would keep you both in the loop if anything new came on the radar, which is exactly what I did. I couldn't spell out everything because of Haley's reaction to seeing her sister get up and walk away from that hit-and-run."

"You have no idea how scary it is to feel you can't trust what you think you've seen," Haley murmured. "Soon as I left the penthouse party and realized Aurie was gone, I dipped on Darcy's security guards. I ran out the hotel just as she got up and followed you, I think." She pointed at me.