Wattpad Original

Original Edition: CHAPTER 10 - AURIE

August 11 | After Midnight

"I didn't see anything!" I winced from the other side of the door.

At the sound of them talking, I had stepped outside, braving the icky-feeling of walking through walls. I don't know why. I was so stoked about gaining the ability to impact the Real World. I hadn't expected to find them in a heated make-out session.

They entered the studio, and I hid my face. "I know I'm supposed to be gone," I said.

"No, we're glad you're still here, Aurie." Mys shivered and crossed to the thermostat to adjust the temp. "The detective and I have a proposal for you."

My gaze bounced from Mys to Detective Zyr, rocking on his heels, avoiding eye contact. Other than being weird, they were totally normal. Not like two horny goats caught humping in the shadows.

I bit my lip to keep from smiling. "Okay, but I have questions galore." Deadass.

"Questions about your case?" The detective cleared his throat.

"Well, one is about my case. What happened to you? You left me stranded earlier."

Frowning, Mys pointed at the lamp. "Did I leave everything on?"

"Yay, you noticed! I learned a new trick," I said as I dropped to the couch. Every light in the studio was ablaze. The detective scoffed, and I was surprised and amused by his skepticism. "Well, who else could've done it? I spent the day exercising my ability to impact things."

"That's why it's freezing in here," Mys commented.

"No way," Detective Zyr insisted. "Transferring energy takes most spirits months, if not years to master. You've been a Soul, what, two days?"

"Why does it take the others so long?" I asked.

"Because the disembodied need time to reconcile being nonmaterial. They have to learn to manipulate the tangible through the intangible. Most never gain the ability before crossing over," he said as he leaned on the marble island. "It's hardly a necessary skill for the dead."

"Says who? And it wasn't that hard to master. I was sitting here thinking about my unfinished business when—Voila!" I popped off the side table lamp as an example.

"So, you figured out your unfinished business?" Mys asked.

Grinning, I beckoned them to the couch. Mys plopped beside me, but the detective stayed in the kitchenette, probably hiding a boner. I was almost jealous. "After much contemplation, I remembered that I never told William J. Varnado I had a crush on him," I announced, waiting expectantly for their reaction to the good news.

Zyr finally cracked a smile. "That's it?"

"I'm thoroughly unimpressed, Yokai. How do you expect that to get you to the Light?" Mys poked me.