Wattpad Original

Original Edition: CHAPTER 13 - AURIE

August 27 | Morning

August 27 | Morning

I had always joked I would sleep when I was dead, but ghosts didn't need recharging. I spent the night on pins and needles. At daybreak, I was bouncing with uncontained excitement by the time Mys groggily rolled over in bed. Soon as my slowpoke roommate tossed off the duvet, I skipped to the coffeemaker and popped toast in the toaster.

"Good morning!" I sang. "Hey, what kind of Supernaturals do you think we'll meet today?"

Mys padded into the kitchen and knuckled sleep from their face. They paused at the fully cleaned studio. I felt a twinge of contrition for my bratty behavior the day prior. Everything was in its rightful place now.

I helpfully poured the first cup of Joe and brandished a new mug I had dug from the cabinet. It was from the same set as the one I had broken. Accepting the peace offering, Mys flashed a tiny smile, and I braced against the island as they took the barstool.

"I've always wanted to see unicorns," I rambled. "Do they exist? Come to think of it, if they do, I guess there wouldn't be many in the city, right? Ooh, maybe we'll see fairies!"

At the ding! I snatched a saucer from the cabinet and deposited fresh toast. Real butter melted in salty, sweet rivulets. Plus, there was bacon. Microwavable bacon. I slid the plated food across the marble countertop. Mys saved it from toppling over the edge.

"Glad you're not holding a grudge," they said.

"Oh, I haven't forgotten you never told me what you are, but I'll pick my battles."

"Which battle do you want to fight today?" Mys asked cheekily.

I leaned over with a conspiratorial wink. "Let's leave early."

"Before we even discuss the game-plan? We should probably talk about how not to scare the poor guy to death."

"We can do that while we're out exploring Overlay City! What do you think of this?" I showed off a flirty sky-blue dress from their trés chic wardrobe and got a thumbs up from my roomie. "Too bad he won't be able to see me in this sexy number."

"What's the message?" Mys asked, sipping coffee.

"My ghost is stuck here because of him," I deadpanned.

"Major creep factor but continue."

Cackling, I raided the bookshelf for paper and bent over the coffee table with one of Mys' anime journals. "Writing it down: 'I should've told you how I felt when I had the chance, Willie-Jay. Now, I can't move on without you knowing how much I like you.'"

Mys gave a slow, dramatic clap from the barstool. "Way to make a guy feel like your Rest in Peace hinges upon him circling yes on your cosmic love letter."

"I mean, technically it does, but what do you propose, sex guru?" I asked with a grin.

"You could say, 'I desired you with a fire that consumed me 'til my last breath.'"