Wattpad Original

Original Edition: CHAPTER 57 - AURIE

September 12 | Morning

Ma louloute. The feral werewolf, Loulou. Darcy's meaning became clear. I wouldn't get the chance to help Zyr, my family, or anyone else. I would be locked in the wolf's body until he needed me. Indeed, his docile, well-kept pet.

"You bastard!" I spat through clenched teeth.

Darcy wheezed a laugh around a sip of cognac. "I've been called worse."

My face contorted as I felt myself snatched, and my body folded backward at the waist. My mouth gaped in a soundless scream. The music that was pulling me yanked harder. The wolf in the other ritual space let out a chilling howl and jerked against the leash, but she could no more escape than I could.

The loa Samedi paced the space between us. The tall, stately black man cast a glance at Brigit, and she sang louder, making the power rip me sideways toward the canine, warping my face. I bawled in furor and agony. I begged for them to stop.

"You said...it wouldn't...hurt," I wept.

Darcy shrugged. "Ignorance isn't dishonesty."

"Mwen pa renmen," Sam mumbled to himself. "I don't like it. I think we got a problem."

"What do you mean?" Darcy arched a brow at him, covering his mouth with his kerchief as he continued watching my body be ravaged by the loas' undisputed power. His look of disgust told me the sight was as disturbing as it felt.

Brigit unexpectedly went slack and stopped singing. The invisible hands tugging me dispersed as soon as the silence descended, and I fell to my knees with a drained whimper. "What in the five fucks of Lucifer! What's what with her, lovey?" she asked Samedi.

Darcy rushed forward. "No breaks. This is time-sensitive. I have another appointment, Baron Samedi. I want the job completed."

Fanning her florid face, Brigit snorted. "Oh, eat it, Nightwalker."

"Watch your mouth, Maman," Sam chuckled. "My apologies, Monsieur Cyprian. Lì can't resurrect her. She's...not my province."

"What? Do what we agreed, Sam!" Darcy sputtered. I stared between the two men from my position huddled at their feet. I didn't understand what was happening.

Samedi spread his arms and backed away. "My province is the dead. Keep the offering for another rainy day, Monsieur. Come along, Maman." He bowed low to Darcy, somehow managing to make a mockery of the gesture.

"God damn you, Samedi!" the vampire roared, pointing a shaking finger at him around the glass of cognac. "You better not step one foot off these grounds! We will discuss this in my office!" He slammed the tumbler on a side table and stormed from the room.

"If you insist, Monsieur." Sam chuckled, but the sound was laced with ire. His dancing black gaze met Brigit's. I cowered on the floor as they stepped over me and followed Darcy. I had no doubt the vampire would find a way to convince them to do his bidding. He was persuasive like that.