Wattpad Original

Original Edition: CHAPTER 20 - AURIE

September 1 | Sunday Afternoon

I slid the utility ladder to the next picture as Mys strolled into the studio with grocery bags. "They were out of avocado, but I managed to find the beignet mix you requested. Now, we can eat sweets and binge watch My Hero Academia. What are you doing?"

"Poltergeist-proofing your house. Could you hand me another Command-Strip?" I asked.

Dropping the bags in the kitchenette, Mys ambled over with my makeshift toolkit from the coffee table. The damage from the weekend was all but erased. Zyr had helped us clean before he left the city. I was putting on the finishing touches.

"Cabinet locks? Non-skid furniture pads? Where'd you find this stuff?" Mys dug through the bag.

"Walmart," I answered. I secured the final corner of the frame and hopped down, ignoring my roommate's shocked face. "A minotaur—a friggin' minotaur—cabbie saw me walking and stopped for me. You can't be worried. I made it back before you did."

"Did you send me on a lengthy store run so you could sneak out? Zyr is gonna kill me."

"He'll be fine. Wrap him around your pinky finger like you do the other boys," I said. Mys playfully shoved me, and I fell to the couch, snickering. I rested on an elbow and peered at them. "I notice you haven't been going out lately. What's up with that?"

"I'm taking a breather. It has nothing to do with him."

"Mm-hm, only a hit dog hollers." I grinned.

Mys grimaced with laughter. "What even is that?"

"Something my grandma used to say. It means, I didn't mention Zyr, but you did because my statement made you think of him. You keep telling me there's nothing going on between the two of you, but I know something is up. Y'all doing it?"

"Aurie Edison, what does your ass know about doing it?" Mys poked me and sat on my legs. I squealed in faux pain and made myself disappear, letting my roommate plop to the cushions. As I repositioned in my favorite chair, I stared at them.

"Not as much as you, apparently," I replied in a frisky tone.

"You've probably had more full-on sex than me in your lifetime." Mys scoffed.

I held up a hand and pretended to count. When my roommate parted lips to say something else, I raised a finger. "Wait a minute. I'm trying to carry the one."

"I'm serious. I don't follow-through with clients. I get them off, and I send them on their merry way," Mys opened up, settling in the corner of the sofa closest to me.

"Okay, but what about in your regular relationships?"

"This will sound pathetic, but it's not. I avoid relationships and casual sex."

My eyes popped. Dead-curious, I leaned forward. "So, what do you do when you...get horny?"

"Let's just say I'm glad you're not a roomie that eavesdrops at locked doors. I love myself. A lot." A shy grin materialized.