XXII

↱"You can't blame gravity for falling in love

"You can't blame gravity for falling in love."

-Albert Einstein

the aftermath/ the day after

KATERINA AWOKE WITH A START, her eyes popping open as she surveyed her surroundings.

It took her a few seconds to realize that she was no longer in the middle of the Stohess war zone but safely tucked under white sheets, nestled against the wall, with Levi laying beside her.

She chuckled lightly as she heard Levi snore, still peacefully asleep and sprawled on his stomach with his head facing her and his arm slung around her waist.

She traced her finger up his naked back, then his shoulder, and then across his jaw as she smiled. 

She didn't mind being held in Levi's strong arms as she cuddled closer to him but when she looked to the window and saw how high the sun was, she realized she had places to be. She began to wrestle herself out of his arms, but as if sensing her movement, his arm instinctively pulled her closer to his body.

Slowly she tried to maneuver her way over him, placing one leg around him as she lifted her body slightly.

"You think you're getting away that easily?" Levi mumbled, his eyes still closed and his words groggy as he tenderly gripped both of her hips and pulled her back down on the bed beside him.

"I didn't want to wake you," she sighed, as Levi pressed soft kisses across her shoulder blade. "I thought I could be sneaky."

He snorted as his kisses traveled from her shoulder to her neck. "If straddling me was your idea of being sneaky, I'd love to see the opposite."

The room was cool and an open window allowed a narrow breeze to make its way to them. She felt goosebumps prickle on her exposed legs and stomach which made her realize that Levi must have undressed her when they returned from the Wall.

"We don't have to be anywhere today," Levi said, throwing the blankets back on top of them as he wrapped his arms around her waist and buried his nose cleavage. "Let's just stay here a little while longer."

"There is so much to do, Levi," Katerina commented, her arms finding their way around his neck, then suddenly she gasped. "I need to find Eren and the kids!"

"Calm down," he groaned in annoyance, slinging one of his legs over hers. "The annoying brat, the smart brat, and the scary brat are alright. None of them had any serious injuries besides some cuts and bruises. Somehow they always get off easily. You, however, have stitches that came loose and your ribs still haven't healed, so you need to take it easy for at least five days."