XV

"Sometimes human places, create inhuman monsters."

- Stephen King.

a few days later

THE HEAVENS GROWLED VIOLENTLY as lightning danced through the dark sky.

The rain that poured down on Katerina smelled of rank acid. She whipped her head around in a haste, trying to figure out where Eren had gone. She began to run as the trees surrounding trees fell one by one behind her. She could hear the deep, loud echoes of a Titan's footsteps. She ran toward the source, the cuts littered on her skin burning with each drop of rain. Her hair was a tattered mess and she could feel blood pooling under her shirt, seeping through the thick jacket she wore

"Eren!" she yelled, her lungs burning. 

In the distance, she saw Eren's Titan crouched down as if he was examining something. Katerina didn't waste any time as she ran toward him but she couldn't remember why she was in such a hurry. She pushed the confusing thoughts to the back of her mind as she closed in on his figure.

She went to touch his massive shoulder gently, to try and tell him for whatever reason, that it was going to be okay. Before she could reach out to him, Eren turned around slowly, and in horror, Katerina noticed the thrashing figure that he held in his hand.

It was Levi.

She opened her mouth to scream, to say something, anything, but it all seemed to be trapped inside of her. She wanted to run and snatch Levi out of his fist as Eren lifted the Captain toward his mouth, but she couldn't move. She willed her body to take action as Eren opened his wide mouth, saliva dripping from the sides like a waterfall. She looked down at her legs to see vines crawling up her body, keeping her rooted to her position. She thrashed and tried to wrestle herself out of the trap that was moving up toward her torso and her arms, but she couldn't escape its formidable grasp.

"Eren!" she yelled, her pleas becoming muffled as the vines moved their way up to her neck, "Eren, please stop!"

Her choked cries did nothing, the vines continued to tighten around her, as they began entering her mouth, dragging her into the ground. She tried to reach for her blades but the vines were beginning to sting as they dug into her skin.

"Levi!" she screamed, continuing to thrash as it became harder and harder to breathe. Levi's figure was still now, as Eren placed him in his mouth, but his eyes caught hers.