XIX

"Vulnerability is not weakness. And that myth is profoundly dangerous."

-Brene Brown.

after the fight

"I WOULD DO ANYTHING FOR YOU."

Her eyes were still closed but Katerina was aware of her body and the aches that stretched from her toes to her head.

"What are you doing to me?"

Her head was throbbing as her fingers twitched by her sides.

"Why hasn't she woken up yet?"

She could feel her chest straining as she tried to breathe and there was a foul taste in her mouth.

"I can't promise you this will never happen again, but I can promise that I'll do everything to prevent it. I'll never leave you behind."

"Levi," she muttered through closed lips, her eyelids feeling heavy as she tried to open them, finally waking.

"Please, wake up."

"Guys! I think she's waking up!" 

Katerina furrowed her eyebrows at the sudden loud noise.

"Mm, stop," she mumbled, gingerly lifting her hand to swat at the air, but her wrist was suddenly caught by a small hand.

"Kat? We're right here." 

She could hear Eren's unnecessarily loud voice, wishing that he could just be quiet.

"Lower your voice," Mikasa snapped harshly. "Her head is probably killing her."

Katerina finally opened her eyes and it took a couple of seconds for her vision to clear up. 

She could see the kids surrounding her, all looking terrified, with Reiner standing still in the corner. The walls surrounding her were white and bland, a sterile smell invading her nose, and she could instantly tell she was in the Survey Corps infirmary.

"Ow," she said, trying to push herself up with her hands. "I...hurt."

Instantly, Armin and Eren ran to her side to try and keep her down.

"Kat, don't try and sit up, you're still very injured," Armin said, his voice wavering as he looked at his idol in such a weak state.

"Injured?" she questioned, her hair was loose and tangled around her as she raised her hand to touch the bandage wrapped around her head, almost like a headband. "Bad?"