Gwen kept her breathing pattern steady and deep and rolled to her stomach with a sleepy groan.

It reminded her of when she was a child and a sound would wake her in the middle of the night. Most times, she'd reject the sound as something that did not concern her and could, in no way, affect her, such as loud passing cars that carried teenagers with bleeding ears or cats fighting, and go back to sleep.

Other times though, the sounds would come from inside the house. Those times, her grandmother wasn't her main concern.

Those times, she would bury her nose in her pillow to stop her breath from getting too loud, to prevent her from being heard by the monster that was surely lurking in the dark.

Old houses have ghosts, her mother had once told her unsuccessfully trying to convince her that her fear was mostly irrational, you can feel their presence, you can feel their energy humming in the walls and the floors. You can feel them, can't you? You can feel when they mean you no harm and you can feel them when they do.

Indeed, she could.

She could feel they meant her harm this time.

"Stop wasting my time, I know that you're awake." She buried her nose deeper into her pillow but it didn't make her disappear.

"Wake up." The voice commanded once more.

It lacked affection, she realised.

Not Nathan, her subconscious let her know and panic soon settled in the pit of her stomach. If not Nathan, then who?

Of course, she knew but not giving in to the horrid feelings that accompanied the arrival of consciousness meant keeping the lie of ignorance alive for as long as possible.

Subconsciously, she'd known that being pulled back to Hell was inevitable. Perhaps, that's why she'd stopped by the kitchen and grabbed the knife before getting into bed. Subconsciously she had known Seth would be watching, she'd known he'd come to punish her and so, she'd prepared herself.

After all, it wasn't the first time he was displeased by her lack of obedience.

"Come on, there's someone here to see you. Don't be rude, Nadia." Keeping ignorance alive wasn't easy. Especially when its killer kept pressing the knife deeper and deeper, twisting it ever so often.

Gwen opened her eyes, allowing them to adjust to the soft light flowing inside the room before focusing on the man standing above her while trying to conceal the panic that moved around her bloodstream hopelessly.

Seth did not seem to particularly mind her lack of reaction, although it was evident that he'd wished for some indication of fear, no matter how small or insignificant. "Hello there, sleepy head. Did you miss me?"

Keeping her jaw locked tight, she refused to offer any sort of reply.

Of course, Seth was not deterred by her tactic. "I brought you your gift, my lying darling. Because I, unlike you, keep my promises."

"I don't want your gifts." She rasped, keeping her expression void of any emotions as blue spots filled her vision. The world was spinning around her, dancing endlessly the way Degas' ballerinas strove to.

Why didn't she read the side effects of Lexapro before taking it? Why? Why? Why?

"Now now, don't be a brat. Besides, I think this gift will surprise you to say the least." Seth turned his body to the side, facing the door. "Isn't that right?"

He wasn't speaking to me. . .

A grunt came from the other side of the room.

A confirmation.