Secrets of our Present and Past

Start from the beginning

''Do you really think that if people knew what Jerome had done they would trust me?''

Clarissa considered this for a moment, and came to the conclusion that they wouldn't. Jeremiah was in the same position that she herself was. Association with Jerome would install distrust in the general public. Sympathy bubbled up in her chest for him, and burst as he turned towards her with sudden intensity in his face. He was decently taller than her, and looked down at her out of his bright green eyes. Clarissa's heart beat faster.

''Do you trust me, Clarissa?'' he asked quietly, his voice deadly serious. A seed of doubt planted itself in Clarissa's mind. Had he really not been affected by the insanity gas?

She nodded silently, and Jeremiah leant back, smiling. He seemed normal again, but the shockwaves of his sudden change of character still rippled through the room. Awkwardly, Clarissa ran her fingers through her hair, while Jeremiah silently watched her. His mind was battling itself. He'd revealed his darkest secret to a girl who had been the lover of his late twin, and now was trying to decide whether he should truly trust her or not. He remembered Clarissa from when she was little, before he had escaped from the circus. She'd been good at playing innocent. Was she still like that? Or would he need to take action?

''Final preparations?'' he asked casually, changing the subject. Clarissa nodded, turning around to face the generator, still slightly unsure of Jeremiah. She began carefully examining each section, taking notes. The wires, the bolts, the mother board. All in perfect working order. 

''We'll be able to change the world, you and I,'' said Jeremiah.

''How do you mean?'' asked Clarissa, bending down to check the base of the generator. Behind her, Jeremiah cleaned his glasses with his handkerchief, and then winced.

''Jeremiah?''

Jeremiah was silent for a few moments, breathing heavily with his eyes shut. Finally he spoke. 

''I- I keep seeing Jerome. The insanity gas. He said it was a special mixture just for me.''

I'm not surprised he is, dollface. You'll have him wrapped around your finger.

''I know the feeling.''

Jeremiah leant against the table behind him, and Clarissa stopped her note taking to keep him company. His green eyes were focused on the wall opposite, and his hands clasped the wood of the table. It was silent between them, and Clarissa wondered what was going on in Jeremiah's head.

''I can see why Jerome found you so attractive,'' he said.

''Oh-''

''I'm sorry. I just noticed it now.''

Clarissa's face flushed pink as she glanced sideways at Jeremiah. 

''I just- why?''

Jeremiah sighed.

''Remember when you found out I was leaving the circus?''

''Yes.''

''You were supportive of my decision, no matter what. The same stood true for my brother. You did anything for him, and now, even though you know what he's done to me, you don't run.''

''I have my own secrets.''

''I know you do.''

Jeremiah reached behind him, and took out a small bound book that Clarissa immediately recognized. It was Jerome's. The book he's written everything in, his plans, his dreams, his death list. She'd tried to find it once, keep it, but it must have been taken by the police. Without thinking she snatched it from Jeremiah's hands and held it to her chest. She knew what else was in those pages, but Jeremiah's face was unreadable.