T H R E E || M E M O R I E S

Previously:
"Yeah. Also, where are we going? Oh, I hope we go to the mall. Or the movies. Or Build-a-Bear!" I put a finger on her mouth and take out my sister's coin.  

"Heads or Tails?" 

T H R E E
M E M O R I E S

"What?"

She moved my finger off her mouth. "Heads or Tails, call it in the air." I flipped the coin as Katie started to freak out.

"Ah! Ah! Ah! Mmm... Heads!" She exclaimed right as it landed in my hand. I flipped it over onto my other hand.  Keeping my hand on top of the coin and said,

"Tails, we go... paintballing," I smiled smugly as I watched Katie squirm a bit, "Heads, we go to the mall and whatever." She perked up a bit at this. I removed my hand, we both looked down and saw,

"Yes! To the mall, we go!" Katie skipped away with energy, each skip much higher than the last. I shook my head and followed after her.

~⚫~⚪~

"Why did I agree to this? I hate shopping." I thought.  Why would you go around to every store that seems appealing and buy everything that fits your size when you have a whole bunch of clothes that you bought a month ago? It doesn't make sense. I only shop twice a year, three max. 

"Ooo, this looks nice huh," Katie held this bright, yellow sundress to her, "I'll be right back!" She grabbed a stack of clothes that she picked out and ran to the fitting rooms.

I trudged to a seat with tiredness with the 8 bags we got from other stores. Why was I doing this you may ask? Without complaining, well out loud? I wanted to see a smile on her face. A genuine smile. Yeah, I bet she smiles all the time, but, from the little time I've known her, they're more polite ones or, for a lack of better words, a fake one. It's like the emotion is there, but it's still hiding, not wanting to come out and feel the sunlight. 

She reminded me of my sister. So bright and fun. During the summer, at almost dawn-break, before our parents woke up, we would sneak out to this cliff, sit on the edge and wait for the sun to come. No words were exchanged as we sat there with anxiousness and anticipation flowing through our veins, hoping for the sun to come up any minute. After what felt like forever, it did. The sun stretched its many hands to lift itself over the horizon. Slowly, its hands illuminated the sky, as the sun does what it has for the past billions of years. Sparking an orange fire that danced across the morning sky. It was always short-lived because we had to get back home before our parents knew we were gone, to begin with. 

It's crazy how someone can be here one moment then gone the next.

"Are you okay?" A deep voice cut through my thoughts. I looked up at a boy, around my age. He looked kind of familiar, but I couldn't place it anywhere.

"Yeah.... yeah, I'm fine." I readjusted myself and reached to touch my face, realizing a tear was sliding down my face.

"Usually when a girl says she's fine, she's really not." He stated.

I rolled my eyes. "That's how I feel. I'm not happy or sad or upset. I'm just... fine."

"Then, what's wrong?" He asked as he sat down to close to comfort. I scooted away a bit.