CHAPTER ONE

“What a wonderful day” Kelvin, a thirty-one year old young man muttered while speeding up to meet up with the green light at the traffic but unfortunately, the light changed back to red which made him stop abruptly. A popular song “Twale" by Frank Edward was playing at the background. He sang along nodding his head to the beats of the song. Then he cornered his head to the left. Beside his car was a black Toyota Camry.

The driver was a young woman of about twenty-five years. She was smiling but not at him and her eyes was focused on a particular direction. One hand was placed on the steering. Her long braided hair fell on her shoulder which made her more beautiful than ever.

“She again?” he asked but got no answer. He had seen her at that spot the previous day and now he was seeing her again at tht same spot. and He kept on staring at her wishing that their eyes would meet but that was far from happening. He had forgotten where he was. 

When the green light showed, the horns from the vehicles behind jerked him back to the present. He was bent on finding out where she was heading to so he followed her, taking every corners and bends she took.

Maya drove into the company gate with her eyes fixed on the rear mirror to see if the car that followed her right from the traffic will also drive in. Surprisingly, the gate was opened for him and the gateman seemed so happy to see him.

“That’s his business” she said to herself. A conductor was there to direct her to where she would park her car. When she parked her car she got her handbag from the back seat and then walked towards the building.

The stares she received made her hasten her steps. She went to the receptionist and made some enquires before heading to the second floor. Her best friend, Rita, screamed as she saw her climbing the stairs thereby attracting the attention of the workers who were busy in their cubicles. She ran and hugged her then they walked hand in hand into her office.

   “Welcome girl. It’s been long since I saw you. I really missed you. How was South Africa and how are your Aunt and her husband?” Rita asked settling on her seat. She was the marketing communication manager in the company.

    “I really thank God for everything dear. It wasn’t easy. I also missed you”. Maya said playing with a pen in her hand.

   “So what do you have for me?

    “Enough goodies await you at home but can you imagine that a guy followed me all the way from the trafficking down here? He even drove into the company and the gateman looked so excited to see him". Maya said

    “Listen to yourself girlfriend. This is a company and we don’t shut our gates against anyone. And besides, if he chased you right from the traffic, he should have a reason for doing that”. Rita explained and continued.

“From your explanation, that should be my boss you are talking about. I guess the old man is happy because this is the end of the month and he is expecting his salary any moment from now”.

  “Which boss are you talking about?”

         “You have not been around for some time now and a lot of things have changed. Mr. Kelvin is the owner of this company but he left it under someone’s care in order to further his education outside the country and now he is back. God! You need to see how girls in the office are falling for him like dead leaves.” Maya who was listening all this while began to laugh seriously. Her friend looked at her with surprise trying to recall if she had said something funny.

  “What is stopping you from also falling for him like dead leaves?” she asked giggling.

  “Because I am…..” Rita stopped and showed her finger to her friend.

    “What!” Maya exclaimed staring at the diamond ring on Rita’s ring finger.

“When did he propose?”

  “I will tell you when we get back home”. Just then, the door flung open which made Maya turn immediately. It was Mr. Kelvin

“Good morning sir” Rita greeted politely.

“That’s him” Maya whispered.

  “Sir, meet my best friend Maya. Maya, this is my boss Mr. Kelvin”.
Rita introduced. Kelvin stretched out his hands for a handshake

    “Hi. Good morning”. Maya said taking his hands. His grip was firm and polite. His cologne filled the room. His hair was nicely cut; he had a dark bristly mustache.  His deep hoarse voice echoed in the room. He looked rich but she hated rich men. She gave him a stern look but he seemed to ignore it.

“Good morning to you too Miss Maya. I hope you are having fun” he said pulling his hands back and gave her a broad grin making him look like someone who got promoted from his position to a higher level. For the first time he really studied her. She was a real beauty. Fine pair of eyes, pointed nose, tiny lips, nice curves. She would make a good wife material. He thought.

“Yes I am”. She smiled which made her more beautiful than he would ever imagine. He couldn’t take his eyes off her but he had a lot of work piled up on his office table that he needed to finish before the day ended.

“Okay ladies, I should be going now. Enjoy”. He tucked one of his hands in his pocket and walked out of the office closing the door behind them. Then all his smiles faded. His intention was to go and tell Maya to leave so that Rita can concentrate on her work but he ended up doing the reverse.

“Just for today” He mumbled and headed towards his office which was on the third floor.

                        °°°°°°°°°°°°°
   “Hey, please wait up”. Kelvin called out as he saw Maya leaving the building. He had sent the receptionist to call him when she was leaving. Maya stopped and turned to face him.

“I’m sorry to bother you. If you wouldn’t mind, would you please spare me a little of your time?” He added as he moved closer enough to have a nice conversation with her.

   “Sure, I can do that”. She replied changing the position of her handbag from the left to right.

  “Thanks so much. I appreciate that. Hmm…The Company is hosting a get-together party to the new board of directors to the members and business associates.
“Wow, that’s nice”.

  “I will be so much delighted if you would honor my invitation to celebrate with us at Diamond hotel on the twenty-eight of this month by 7pm. That’s if your schedule is not too tight”.

“Um….I would have loved to but I have an appointment on that date and on that same time”.

  “But you can always come around if you finish early”. He insisted. She turned away for a short while. He waited patiently for her answer, his eyes trying to avoid her backside.

  “I’ll try. But I am not promising”.

  “Thanks for your time. I don’t want to waste more of it. I guess I will see you around or maybe fate will make us meet again at the traffic”. He said stressing his final words.  She smiled

   “That was funny. Well I have to be on my way now. Hope to see you soon”.

He stood back looking at her swaying her backside magistically to her car before entering and drove off swiftly. He liked her already and he will do anything to get her.

Well, that's for chapter one. Come back for chapter two. Please don't forget to follow, vote and recommend to your friends. let me know your thoughts in the comment section.