Chapter 1

ARTHIT

To make matters worse, even though I criticize it every chance I get...

❋ ❋ ❋

"Let me help you with those, auntie!"

Arthit freezes, near dropping his pink milk as he hides behind the long queue in front of the pork skewer vendor. His eyes are locked on Kongpob as the guy helps an old woman with her groceries, carrying them for her and allowing her to hold his bicep as they make their way across the street.

He only stops staring when he's shoved rudely by an irritated customer, stumbling into the walkway, where he's quick to find a place to hide after Kongpob turns around to look into the crowded market area.

❋ ❋ ❋

He's got a really nice personality, too!

And though Kongpob's only confessed to liking me recently, we go way back. (When he first moved to the city, he even lived on the same street as me!) But I've started to talk to him only last year, when he first entered high school, and even then, our conversations were definitely more laconic and churlish than necessary. (Not that those aspects of our words shared were my fault.)

Speaking honestly, I can't think of a time where Kongpob could've started liking me. In his eyes, you'd think anyone is unlikeable!

❋ ❋ ❋

"I'm sorry," Arthit hears a masculine voice say, still squeaky with the strains of growing up, but a guy's nonetheless, "but I don't like you in that way."

"Oh...," and there's the disappointed lady.

Arthit licks his palm, using it to lift the front of his hair, though it flops pathetically back over his face as soon as he brings his hand back down to his side. He still makes the attempt, however, eager to swoop in and charm the girl off her feet, acting as the sympathetic prince. When the rejected girl comes around the corner, though, Arthit is still wiping his spit-slick palm on his pants, and he's completely ignored by her as she passes by, tears beginning to leak down her cheeks. Arthit lifts a hand, reaching out for her, but when she sniffles and starts to run, the appendage falls pathetically back down to his side.

He stares after her in silence, not even registering the second set of footsteps until....

"P'Arthit?"

Arthit jumps, whirling around to see Kongpob staring at him from below furrowed brows.

"What are you doing here?"

Arthit opens his mouth to reply honestly before he gets ahold of himself and smacks his junior with his books, biting out a, "Wouldn't you like to know?" as he shoves past him.

❋ ❋ ❋

Girls and guys alike have been rejected by that busybody! So I really don't know why I'm the one who qualifies for his feelings. Not that his feelings are reciprocated or even wanted, for that matter. Things would be easier, in fact, if Kongpob didn't like me.

But he does. And now I've got to deal with his clingy ass!

❋ ❋ ❋

Beginning of the School Year

Ripping down yet another poster with Kongpob's face plastered on it, Arthit grumbles to himself, irritated that some Second Year has beaten him twice in a row now at a student council position.