Chapter 5

ARTHIT

Though he initially wanted nothing more than to be in student council, now that he's actually in it, Arthit wants nothing more than to get out. It's now the fifth week he's attended the meetings since the week of the first meeting and its follow-up, and he's wondering what stunt Kongpob will pull this time.

❋ ❋ ❋

A List of Kongpob's "Stunts" from Every Week

Giving Arthit more work than all the other members. (Unsurprising.)

Referring to Arthit as his "wife." (Done only once. Arthit gave Kongpob a stern talking to afterwards. He hasn't brought it up since. Surprising.)

Rewarding the hardest worker with pink milk. Arthit is always the hardest worker. (Surprising for other students, humiliating for Arthit. He splashed the pink milk in Kongpob's face.)

Offering to give Arthit a ride home, then looking sad when Arthit declines. (Confusing. Since when does he give Arthit rides?)

Staring straight at Arthit through the entirety of the meetings. (Discomforting for Arthit. It freaks him out.)

❋ ❋ ❋

Needless to say, Kongpob is an enigma. Arthit doesn't think he's ever been more stressed. He swears he can feel his blood pressure jump as soon as he enters the room. Kongpob doesn't even have to be in there with him for his hairs to stand on end.

"Oon? Are you listening?"

Meet Namtan.

❋ ❋ ❋

Thirteen and a Half Years Ago

The family next door is nice, living in a cool house with a dog and good meals brought over sometimes, but Arthit only cares about the girl who likes to climb over the fence and into the Rojnapat's backyard, stealing back balls she's accidentally thrown over the fence when playing with the dog. Arthit likes to watch her from his upstairs window, eyes wide with curiosity and amazement, thinking her hair shines like honey in the light. His toys lay abandoned on the ground, and he listens with rapt attention to her satisfied laughter as she scales back over the fence and into her own yard.

Somehow, he has never met this girl, and he very much wants to.

"Arthit!" his mother calls him downstairs, and Arthit rushes away from the window, out of his room and to the kitchen. "What are you doing up there?" she asks, sounding hassled.

Something bakes in the oven, while she has a variety of side dishes cooking on the stove. His father is chopping something across the way, but his eyes are fixed to the TV screen where some news plays. "Kasem!" his mother scolds, making him look down at the too-finely chopped vegetables. Arthit's mother shakes her head. "I do everything in this house, I swear."

Arthit flushes, looking to his feet in a mixture of equal shame and embarrassment. "Sorry, Mae," he says, but she just flaps her hand. "You're young, you'll learn. Your father on the other hand...."

Kasem, Arthit's father, looks back then. "Sirikit...." He sticks out his lower lip, and Arthit bites back a laugh at his father's antics, instead watching with giddy amusement. "I'm sorry."

"You're not as cute as our dear sun," Sirikit says, before looking down at Arthit. "Please get out the silverware to set the table. We're having guests over. Can you count for six people?"

Arthit stares at her with wide eyes before nodding and moving to get out the proper amount of silverware. Six forks, six spoons, six napkins. He gets the stool and is balancing precariously on one foot, the other trying to climb the cupboard doors, in order to get to the cups when the doorbell rings, and Arthit tumbles onto his behind, twisting around to try and see who their guests are.

He locks eyes with the climbing girl. The backyard Robin Hood. "Namtan," Sirikit introduces the two. "Meet Arthit. Arthit meet Namtan."

Arthit stutters out a greeting, shy and embarrassed after getting caught still on the floor, stool knocked over.

Luckily, Namtan is very nice and helps him pick up before the two of them take two cups each to the table, and the adults all applaud them as they do so. Namtan and Arthit share a smile, and that's the start of a long friendship.

❋ ❋ ❋

"I'm...," Arthit blinks, looking over at her, "yeah. I am. I mean, I couldn't quite hear you."

Namtan frowns at him, a crease forming between her pretty brows—everything about her is pretty really, from her honey hair to her doe eyes to her pink cheeks and plump lips. Arthit looks away. "You've been distracted, Oon," she says, leaning closer. "Is there something you're not telling me?"

Arthit can smell the sweet, floral scent of Namtan's perfume. It gets into his nose, overwhelming his senses, and Arthit has to turn his head now, too. "It's... it's nothing. I'm just... just stressed."

"Stressed?" Namtan's lips are still curled into a frown.

"Oh?" a voice speaks up from behind them, making both Arthit and Namtan turn around. There stands Kongpob, brow raised curiously, eyes locked on Arthit. "Who's this? I think I recognize you?" He walks around the table, and Arthit swallows when he sees the way his fingers drag lightly against the table. His eyes stay locked on Arthit after a quick glance at Namtan, and Arthit swallows under the intense stare. He takes a seat across from the pair. Arthit can see the way he leans back, crosses one leg over the other.

"Er... Namtan," the girl next to Arthit says. She points to him. "You are... student council president?"

"Kongpob Sutthilak," he replies, sounding sure. He smiles at her, but there's something sharp in that smile, something cruel and wild. Arthit licks his lips. "Arthit, you're coming to the meeting, right?"

Arthit blinks, sitting up, as Kongpob uncrosses his legs, imitating Arthit's position. "Do I get a choice?" he asks.

Kongpob smiles, and Arthit concentrates on the curve of his lips, the glint of his teeth, the slight bit of tongue peeking out. There's nothing cruel in that face, nothing wild and malicious in those eyes. Arthit lets out a breath.

"Yeah," he finally concedes, "I'm going."

"Can't wait to see you there," Kongpob chirps, and then he pushes himself out of his seat, waving to Namtan, meeting Arthit's eyes once again, keeping their gazes locked, all the way till he's out the door, turning to walk down the hall and back to his classroom.

Namtan watches him go to before immediately turning to Arthit. "Um," she says, "so that was...."

"The reason I'm so stressed," Arthit says. He drops his face into his hands. "Yeah. That's it."

Namtan places a gentle hand on his back, but Arthit stands up.

"You know what?" he asks. "I think I'm going to go back to class, too." He gives her a small smile. "I'll see you, Namtan."

--

A/N: Follow my Twitter @perayatwt!