• thirty-five •

Start from the beginning

I touched my middle finger and thumb together and built my power in my hand. As I pulled them apart, dark sparks flew between them.

Leah watched me, her eyes full of concern. She bit her lip as if debating to say anything at all. I remembered what she said about dark magic, how it had corrupted her. I wondered if she was thinking about that too. "We didn't talk more yesterday," she said softly. "But you do have power over Asmo. He is in love with you. You should use that to your advantage."

I blinked.

Leah walked to the coffee maker and popped a small coffee pod into the machine that's rarely used. She shook her head. "Last night, while you were out they told me what he did to you. How Damien found you torturing a man." She turned. "He was right, that's not you. And he knows you best, you two have been friends all your lives. That was all Asmo." She nodded at my hand. "The dark magic? I'm sure that is him too. He did it again. I saw the dark magic in your power. Since he's in love with you, you shouldn't be ashamed to use that your advantage. God knows he isn't shy about using you and flaunting it in front of Damien and Julian."

I watched her flabbergasted. How did Leah, of all people, begin to see what Asmo had done without me having to say a word? I couldn't say a word about the bargain, but Leah had seen right through me.

And she was nice---she was so kind.

Dark magic had corrupted her and those around her that much. And she saw that Asmo's influence could do the same for me or it currently was.

"Flip your hair." She ran her hand through her black hair and flipped ti. "Look at him through your lashes." She looked over her shoulder and down then back at me, showing what she meant. "Give him small smiles. Touch his hand a little. Act shy." She rolled her eyes as if disgusted just as the coffee maker began to make noises. "Laugh. Flirt. He'll love that. But don't do too much too fast, he'll get suspicious unless you've been leading him on this entire time." She looked at me. "I don't think you would do that though at least not on purpose."

She grabbed her coffee as it finished. She shook her head. "I know it's not my place but I'm worried that he put you in a bad place." She shrugged. A door swung shut in the next room and Leah lowered her voice. "Maybe I'm overreacting but you're more capable than him and can outsmart him." 

As soon as Julian appeared in the doorframe, I could tell the news was not good.

Leah noticed too. "No progress?"

He shook his head. "None. Damien...didn't take it very well. He went for a walk." He ran his hands over his face, frustrated. "We're wasting time." He looked at Leah. "Suit up. We're training."

Her shoulders straightened slightly, but I saw her hesitate slightly. "What about Damien?"

He shook his head. "I don't care at this point. We don't have the time--we need more people on our side. Emylin needs our help, she can't be the only one making sacrifices." 

I felt a pang in my heart. Did he know? How could he possibly?

"I've staked my reputation with my contacts. Emylin has sacrificed her happiness and family. Enough is enough."

Leah still hesitated. While she had asked me to help her, it seemed to be entirely different to her if Julian did it without Damien's permission. "With the Queen's blessing, I will."

Julian turned to me. "Queen Emylin, as General and Lord of Skryen, I, Julian Curran, request that this dark fae is to be taken under my instruction to learn the ways of the Underworld Army in your honored name."

I nodded, fueled by his words. "Yes. Perfect. Do it. You have my permission."

He bowed towards me and turned to Leah. "Now he can't say anything."

Leah bowed in my direction, a small smile hinting her lips. "It will be my honor, Alteaza."  She placed her mug on the counter and immediately spectered away, presumably to change.

He turned towards me with a smile. He took my hand and pressed my knuckles to his smiling lips making my heart skip a beat. "You, too. We won't be taking it easy, either."

Despite his smile and the way he was trying to make me feel at ease, I could see what he was doing. "It didn't go well, did it?"

"No. Asked for more money then asked to meet you instead."

My eyebrows shot up. "Meet me?"

He shook his head. "No need. I've already paid her. I won't let anyone near you." He looked at my clothes and his appreciative eyes made me blush. My hand in his, however, began to recoil on its own. I concentrated to keep it where it was if only for a second longer. I wasn't ready to pull away from him yet.

"You went for a run?" His deep voice brought me back to our present conversation.

I nodded trying to smile, trying to hide the fact that my hand was starting to burn in his. Damn Asmo and his damn bargain. "I couldn't sleep."

He gave a crooked smile. "Well, no excuses then. Outside."