Chapter 16 | A rude awakening

Start from the beginning

"Wait, you're not mad at me?" I asked in disbelief. "Aren't you seriously hurt or at least holding a grudge?" I added, growing more concerned.
"Nah, I've forgiven you" she said with a shrug. "That was over a week ago anyway" she added nonchalantly.
"I've been out for over a week!?" I yelled in surprise.
"Yep. Happy New Year" she added, clearly trying not to laugh at my state of shock.
"I MISSED CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR'S!?" I yelled, both afraid for my health and upset that I couldn't spend the holidays with my new family. As if to answer my question, my stomach made the loudest rumble that I'd ever heard in my life. "Never mind " I groaned, holding my stomach. "I have a feeling you're telling the truth" I added as I swung my legs round and stood up... until I fell straight onto my face.
"Yeah, you're probably weak as all hell" Benny said, crouching down and putting one of my arms over her shoulder. "Here, let's get you some food" she said, walking me to my door and out into the hall.
"I'm assuming Ann refused to help me cause of what happened?" I said, half smiling.
"Surprisingly no. She's just been to busy with helping Slenda" she explained, helping me hobble to the stairs.
"Oh yeah, the whole... biting thing" I said, embarrassed.
"Yeah, it's not particularly pretty" Benny said, wincing slightly at the memory.
"Why's tha-" I began until we were met with Slenda shuffling towards the bottom of the stairs, her half-tentacle resting in a sling. "Oh my fuck" I said as I saw her.
"Yeah you really did a number on her-" she began before I pushed away from her and hobbled down the stairs and towards Slenda.

"I'm so sorry" I began to tear up as I got closer to Slenda. "I-I wasn't me. I'll *sniff* do anything to make it u-up to you" I declared, wrapping her in a tight hug while I tried to prevent myself from crying. There was no response to start, however she slowly wrapped her arms around me and returned the hug. She lightly stroked the back of my head in a comforting manner with one hand as she held me close with her other.
"It's okay" she said warmly. "I forgive you, (Y/N). I know you weren't yourself and I don't hold you accountable" she added as she let go.
"It's not okay!" I pretty much yelled. "I hurt you, and you've done nothing but be kind to me!" I added, my vision blurry from a small accumulation of tears.
"That's not true. I betrayed your trust and told Jess about your sister, I guess it was just karma" she said with a shrug. "Besides, it doesn't hurt that bad" she said with a weak smile. Looking up at her, she seemed happy but her eyes showed a look of pain. The look I knew all too well on the face of another motherly figure.
"Don't give me that shit!" I yelled. "I've been so closed off most of the people who live under the same roof as me. I understand that you're trying to get me to open up, and I overreacted like an idiot. You were trying to help and I only hurt you and some others" I said, no longer paying attention to the tears gently running down my cheeks. "Your 'karma' can kiss my ass! You didn't deserve what I did to you, and I'll do anything to make it better" I said, wiping my tears and looking up at Slenda.
"You're so stubborn" Slenda sighed, bending down so we were eye level. "But I'm glad that you feel bad about what you did. I think you may be a good influence on everyone else here" she added, kissing me on the nose. I went wide eyed and blushed a red darker than Nightmare's skin at her action. With a small giggle, she stood back up and patted me on the cheek before passing Benny and I to go up the stairs.

"Well ain't that sweet?" Benny said from behind me.
"Yeah you can call it that" I said, turning around with a smile and wiping the last of my tears. "So, what have we got to eat?" I asked, clearing my throat to avoid talking like I was still choked up. Benny simply smiled at my question and interlocked our arms.
"Well let's have a look-see" she said as we walked to the kitchen. Getting in to the large room, Benny sat me down at the table and flashed me a quick smirk. "Stay here for a sec while I grab you something, 'kay?~" she said kindly. I was about to protest, but as I opened my mouth Benny had already whipped around and tossed me a can of Prangles. "Eat these while I make you something that's actually good~" she said with a wink as she put on a 'kiss the cook' apron. I smiled at her and ate the contents of the non-copyright brand of chips-

(A/N): As a Brit, it hurts to call them chips.

-in a very short amount of time. After a little bit of waiting, Benny had walked over with a variety of food. She placed a multitude of plates in front of me while she had a smile of satisfaction on her face. "Say ahhh~" she said, holding a fork with food in it to my mouth. I gave her a look of skepticism, but she paid my look no mind and evidently retained her usual smug grin.

"You know I can feed myself, right?" I asked.
"Yeah, but I've missed you in the time you were out so I wanna dote on you as much as I can" Benny stated with a smile.
"*sigh* How can I say no to that face?" I said, reaching forward and pinching her cheek a little; causing her to giggle a little at my action.
"You can't, now open wide~" she said, waving the fork in front of me a little. I opened my mouth and even made the 'ahh' noise and she put the food in my mouth. My face immediately lit up as she did so, the food was incredible.
"Holy shit!" I exclaimed, making Benny jump a little. "You're an amazing cook!" I added, causing her to blush lightly as I began to wolf down the food that she had left in front of me.
"Th-thanks, (Y/N). But I know you're just saying that so I feel better" she said meekly.
"If I was lying, why would I have already eaten this much this fast?" I questioned, pointing to the number of empty plates in front of me. "Honestly, Benny, *munch munch* you have a gift for this sort of thing" I added, scarfing down the bit of food in the blink of an eye. "Ahhhh, that hit the spot" I said joyfully, leaning back in my chair and patting my now full stomach.
"I'm glad you liked it" Benny said with a smile. "Now let's get you back to your room, I'll bring you some more stuff later so don't worry about straining yourself. I'll do my best to take care of you" she said warmly.
"Thanks, Benny. I'm liking this sweet version of you" I said smugly as I got up, using the table for support.
"Well don't get too used to it" she said as she took the plates to the sink. "I'll be back to my normal self when you're all healed up and stuff" she added, walking back over to me and helping stand up straight. Putting my arm back over her shoulder, we slowly made our way back to the stairs.

"Oh fuck" I mumbled, looking up to the top of the staircase in horror. "This is not gonna be fun" I groaned.
"I'll make it easier for you" Benny said with a smug smile on her face.
"And how're you gonna do tha- hey! What the hell!?" I exclaimed as Benny picked me up bridal style and began to carry me up the stairs. "I've hit an all time low" I muttered as we made our way up.
"I told you I would make it easier, although I guess I didn't take your pride into account" she said with a giggle as we got to the top.
"No shit, Sherlock" I huffed, embarrassed. "You can put down now, Benny" I added as she kept on walking with my in her arms.
"Not happening. I can't let you strain yourself after all" she said, a smug grin plastered on her face.
"For God's sake" I mumbled as I gave up protesting, earning a giggle from Benny. We got to my room and she had sat me down on my bed and she had even pulled the covers over me.
"Do you want me to tuck you in?~" she teased.
"I know your joking, but that honestly sounds really comfy" I said with a little smile, earning another little giggle from Benny as she walked over.
"Well if you insist" she said walking over to me.

"Hey, Benny?" I said as she actually began to tuck me in.
"Yeah? What's up?" Benny asked, turning to face me. In an instant I had sat back up and held her in a hug, despite being at a slightly awkward angle. She jumped a little at the sudden action, but she returned the hug nonetheless. "And what's this for?" she asked.
"This my way of saying both sorry and thank you" I explained. "Even though I injured you, all you've done is take care of me today. I'm sorry that I ever hurt you in the first place and I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for looking after me" I added, kissing her on the cheek at the end. She smiled her kind smile once again.
"It's alright, (Y/N). I'm doing this because I care about you" she said, kissing me on the cheek and standing up. "But for now, get some rest, 'kay?" she said from my doorway, us both now flushed a deep red. I simply nodded as I laid back down.

'I get the feeling I'm gonna be so damn bored'