11

Chapter 11

''Why the long face, son?'' Phil asks with concern.

Oh no, Gale for the love of God, please lie. I don't condemn lying but in situations like this, can he just act like working with fish is the greatest thing that could ever happen to him. I shift uncomfortably in my chair feeling the sweat running on my forehead, we are going to lose this great opportunity. 

''I'm so sorry Sir, it was just so shocking to hear that we got the job. I become still and silent when I hear good news, and these news are surely the opportunity of a lifetime,  am I right?'' Gale nudges my shoulders and fake laughs.

''Yes, we are both so thrilled! When would you like us to start?'' I play along with Gales 'happy' parade. 

''Well, considering you both study I understand you won't be able to work so much.'' He scans through his papers and takes some minutes to think. 

''I'm guessing you'd like to work the same days and shifts, so how's Monday's and Friday's looking for you, 5-11 pm perhaps?''

''Sounds perfect!'' Gale nods in agreement and I eagerly answer without thinking if those days work for us.

''Great, I'll see the two of you next week!''

We walk out, both silent, knowing this is the calm before the storm. Gale sure is going tо explode any minute now. I gotta prepare for this situation and try to provide the best answers, he could have declined the job offer, but he took it, and I know he did it for my sake. Call me evil, but when I think about it, I can't wait to see Gale behind that counter selling fish. It sure is going to be quite the sight.

''What the hell are you smiling about? It better not be about me Autumn, we are not near the store anymore and I will flip out any second.'' Gale says as he hits a commercial sign and shrieks out in pain as I burst out laughing, my stomach aching from all the laughter. 

''I'm going to call someone who actually cares for me.'' Gale jokes as he tries to hide his smile.

''Whatever you say Mr. Fish expert.'' I say laughing and gale joins in, not being able to keep a straight face any longer.

''Shut up, as I said, I'm going to call someone who cares for me.'' He says and scrolls through his contacts and calls this so-called person who cares about him, must be Mason. 

''Mason is waiting for us at the campus, it's time to eat.'' Gale says, and it sure is time to eat, my stomach is growling like crazy, I haven't even noticed until now because of the nerves I had for the job interview. 

''I call Shotgun!'' Gale yells and runs to the car. 

I roll my eyes and chuckle at Gale's behavior, always the front in the car, furthest back in the classroom. I don't mind, I've never really cared for shotgun anyways. When you sit in the back you're not forced to make as much conversation to the driver as you would have if you sat in the front. Sitting in the back is relaxing and you get to sing along to the music without disturbance. I walk up to the car to open the door and as I'm about to get in I make eye contact with the devil himself. 

''What is he doing here?'' I mutter as I put my seatbelt on and look the other way, a wave of embarrassment flooding over me as I recall the scene at the party.

''He has a name and I'm hungry. Thought I came here for you? Please, don't flatter yourself Toots.'' Carters says unbothered. 

''Toots?'' I ask in confusion. 

Toots? What does that even mean? And did he just call me by a nickname? Why am I even thinking about this, I shouldn't care about what he says.