10

Chapter 10

I expected a really good comeback from that ignorant jerk, but what I got was a very stern glare and then him walking away. Surrender, and the glory was mine, Autumn 1, Carter 0. He probably didn't expect my answer, especially after my meltdown at the party. I looked so weak, and my confidence about my looks hasn't gotten any better, but fake it till you make it they say, and that is what I'm going to do. 

''Why did he storm off?'' Mason says raising his eyebrow in confusion. 

''I don't know, he probably just has a bad day.'' I lie, not wanting to draw any attention or suspicion towards me and the Carter situation.

''Like every other day, nothing new,'' Gale says and shrugs. 

''No, he was just fine bef-'' Mason stops mid-sentence when his eyes meet mine as if something just clicked. 

''Mmm, okay weird. Earth to Mason! What just happened?'' Gale tries to reach Mason from his analyzing. 

''Do I have something on my face?'' I say getting insecure over my skin, not daring to touch my face with dirty hands resulting in a breakout of pimples. 

''No, you look great, I, uh, don't know what happened.'' Mason lies not daring to look me in my eyes.

''We'll talk about that later,'' Gale states as if he just read Mason's mind and realized what Mason was really thinking. I better not have a pimple.

''Sure, good luck on the job hunting,'' Mason says and kisses Gale.

Wait, are they together together or are they still figuring things out? I haven't talked to Gale about the two of them. I haven't really gotten a chance to do it either, ever since Carted began harassing me, that's all I kind of have been focusing on. Him tearing my self-esteem down, me trying to bring it back up. It's only been a couple of days and I wonder if this cat and mouse game is ever going to come to an end? Or is this just the beginning? I'm hoping that it's just a faze and that he leaves me the hell alone after it's through. 

Gale and I begin our walk to the grocery store that is nearby, and I hope it is because Gale has a tendency to make a distance sound shorter than it really is. In this case, the grocery store ''Green, Meat & Milk'' should be 10 minutes away from campus, but if I know him, which I do, 20 minutes or more should be the right amount of time to get there, though I'm hoping the walk is only 10 minutes long.

''Are you and Mason a thing now? Officially?'' I ask as we make our way to the first stop of job hunting. 

''It's complicated. For the first time in our 'relationship,' I'm the one who is pulling the brakes. After all, we have been through I feel as if we should take it slow this time.'' 

''You're right, but I genuinely feel as if he is trying more this time. Losing you over the summer probably scared him and maybe he even took some time to mature and grow as a person.'' I say while scanning the trees and the narrow road that we're walking on.

''I feel that too, I hope he has changed. I'm not going to be able to go through that kind of pain again.'' Gale says as his eyes meet mine and I give him an understanding smile.

I feel myself getting nervous as we keep walking and all the 'what if's' are popping up in my head. I inhale and exhale five times to get control of myself and try to calm down. Gale is with me, it's going to be fine. We are going to put on our best smile and behavior and get the job. Yes, Autumn! That's the spirit, I feel the optimistic part of me coming through and saving the day, hopefully. 

''Here we are!'' Gale exclaims.

I look up and the market is indeed in sight. The grocery store looks like any other store, a retail shop with a friendly looking building. It looks bright and clean, with big windows showing the cashiers scanning the items and groceries. As we get closer I scan the environment, normal sized parking with a few cars in the lots, people walking in and out of the store, a highway shadowed by all the trees and a couple of more pathways into the woods, probably leading to areas with houses. An ordinary shop which most likely brings a nice customer to it, at least I hope it does.

We walk into the store, and just like the outside, it's bright and clean on the inside. A modern store with smiling employees and a happy environment. I hope the manager is as cheerful as the workers seem to be, fingers crossed. 

''Good day! Can I help you two youths?.'' We turn around and face a middle-aged man with a bright smile on his face as observes us through his oversized round glasses. He as a name tag, Phil Gordon, and above the name it says, manager.

''Yes, I'm Autumn Wright and this is Gale Harrison,'' I say and offer my hand to shake the man's hand and Gale following my lead. 

''We are two students who are looking for a job and thought this would be a great place to work at. Are you in need of extra employees?'' I ask with hope beaming out of my eyes. 

''Yes, I actually am, what a great coincidence! Follow me, we can talk more in my office.'' He says as he leads the way to the staff area. 

We walk into his office and he gets each of us a chair for Gale and me to sit at, then he slides down on his chair and grabs a piece of paper and a pen. 

''Let's start with you young lady, Autumn was it?'' I give him a smile and a nod.

Are you service minded? How do you work during pressure? How do you handle conflict, angry costumers? Are only a few of the questions I answered during my time of the interview. I worked in a grocery store over the summer for 2 years in a row, so I knew what to say and to provide the answer a store manager would like to hear.

''Tell me, son, what can you work with? Are you handy?'' Phil asks Gale, turning the attention to my nervous friend and starting his interview. 

''Everything you need Sir, I have experience, just like Autumn, on working in a grocery store. I can handle anything you give me.'' Gale answers confidently, no hesitation whatsoever. 

During the interview he wrote down some of the things we said, I couldn't read from my side of the desk but my guess is that he wrote down the pro and cons. Gale and I both said that Mondays and Fridays are the two days we guaranteed can come and work after school, now I wonder if two days seemed too stingy. 

Gale's time of the interview is done now, and Phil is re-reading his notes. I feel the palm of my hands getting sweatier by the minute and I hope we got the job. We could really use the extra money and even though the store wasn't 10 minutes away like Gale insisted it was, but 20 minutes away, it still is close enough. 

''I think I got something for the two of you.''

''Anything!'' Gale and I say in sync. 

''Miss Wright, you're going to work as a cashier. You have the perfect smile, our customers are going to love you.'' He says as he slides his glasses down a notch to see over them, and not through, I'm guessing that's a sign of seriousness. 

''Perfect, can't wait,'' I say with a pleased smile.

''Gale, you seem like you could upgrade my store a bit. I have the best position for someone like you. Hungry for work, I can see it in your eyes.'' He says, the dollar sign forming in his eyes. He must love his business and money.

''Right you are, sir!'' Gale agrees, eager to hear the position he is going to get.

''You are going to upgrade my manual fish counter! You're going to be a great addition to the team.'' Phil finally says and Gale faces drops.  

-----------------------------------------------

Chapter out guys! Hope you like it!!!

LOVE

V&M